Android Rooted?
Hi Tommy_2Tall,

I'll try to answer all your questions as good as I can.

Tommy_2Tall Wrote:Maybe I've misunderstood something but will we be able to use Google Play Store, Netflix, Spotify, (other "DRM sensitive" apps) with a rooted device?

You will be able to use the most of the apps from Play Store.
Sure, there exist a few apps which will not work, if your device is rooted, but you can use the Xposed framework with "RootCloak".
RootCloak will hide "root" for specific apps.
- RootCloak (with 5.x and 6.x support) | Xposed Module Repository
I don't know how to install Xposed at the moment on the Pine 64, because I don't have a board yet.

The Google Play Store itself is really absolutely no problem with root.
Netflix is also no problem on a rooted device.

Tommy_2Tall Wrote:I was under the impression that a lot of apps from the Play Store will not run properly if you have a rooted device.

I can absolutely deny that.

Tommy_2Tall Wrote:It could be that the rooted devices that I've used in the past have been cheap noname tablets with limited support for Google Play and maybe those were not on some sort of "allowed/supported devices" list?

That COULD be the reason, but there is a solution Wink
The magic is inside the file "build.prop".
This files contains all relevant device information for Google Play Store.
It contains the model, display size, dpi, and so on.

There are some tutorials how to get your device compatible with the most apps.

Tommy_2Tall Wrote:So my main concern is probably wether there would  be a benefit to have an image which is NOT rooted in certain circumstances or if rooted is "always better"?

What do you expect from a "rooted" device?
What do you want to do with root?
It's useless to say "I want root!", but you don't know what to do with it.
So, please tell me more about your plans and I'll help you as good as possible.

Best regards
Julian
My forum topics:
• Create a WiFi hotspot on Debian 8
• Turn your Pine64 into a music server with mpd
• Adjust brightness of LCD on Armbian Desktop with 1 click
• My cases for Pine64 (acryl, lego & wood)

• Pine 64 - DACH - Facebook page for german-speaking Pine64-fans.
I think Tommy_2Tall is saying he wants a simple, straightforward user experience and would like an Android image appropriate to that, be it rooted or not. Not everyone wants to download program x, y, z to mitigate issues a, b, c. Some people just want to use the device without fussing and fiddling with the background workings too much.
That's correct, but he also asked something about DRM and cheap devices, which have some problems with app incompatibilities.
This topic is really no "easy stuff" and I just tried to answer his questions as good as possible.

In easy words:
You don't have to worry about DRM, if you're using a non-rooted device.
My forum topics:

(03-16-2016, 04:00 AM)JulianM Wrote: That's correct, but he also asked something about DRM and cheap devices, which have some problems with app incompatibilities.
This topic is really no "easy stuff" and I just tried to answer his questions as good as possible.

In easy words:
You don't have to worry about DRM, if you're using a non-rooted device.

Ah sorry, missed that 'DRM sensitive' part. Thanks JulianM!
Thanks to both of you for clearing that up for me Big Grin

Just as SkairkrohBule assumed I am basically after a minimum-fuss, works OOTB, image and was just worried that only having access to an "official" rooted image from the Pine team could become an issue.
Seems like it will most likely not become an issue at all. Cool
It would be really great, if there will be 2 Android images.
A rooted-image and a non-rooted-image.
My forum topics:

(03-15-2016, 04:18 PM)tllim Wrote:
(03-15-2016, 01:57 PM)minutesgrep Wrote: It looks like the "Android Image Release 20160216" from this page is *not* rooted.

http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pine_A6...re_Release

Any easy way to root it? I can't seem to get adb wireless on it, may try via USB here soon.

Strange, should be root. If not, I will make sure the next image is rooted.

@tllim - any update on getting a rooted Android image? Since linux has no accelerated graphics support, I would like to remove/trim as much of the Android image as possible, but root is needed. Thank you.
(03-28-2016, 08:17 PM)minutesgrep Wrote:
(03-15-2016, 04:18 PM)tllim Wrote:
(03-15-2016, 01:57 PM)minutesgrep Wrote: It looks like the "Android Image Release 20160216" from this page is *not* rooted.

http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pine_A6...re_Release

Any easy way to root it? I can't seem to get adb wireless on it, may try via USB here soon.

Strange, should be root. If not, I will make sure the next image is rooted.

@tllim - any update on getting a rooted Android image? Since linux has no accelerated graphics support, I would like to remove/trim as much of the Android image as possible, but root is needed. Thank you.
How you plan to trim Android image for accelerated graphics support?
(03-28-2016, 11:31 PM)tllim Wrote: How you plan to trim Android image for accelerated graphics support?

I think he means that he will remove everything he feels useless from image, so that RAM is not over consumed and gives him better performance. He wants to make it lightweight by snapping off any software he doesnt want.
(03-29-2016, 12:48 AM)arpanj2 Wrote:
(03-28-2016, 11:31 PM)tllim Wrote: How you plan to trim Android image for accelerated graphics support?

I think he means that he will remove everything he feels useless from image, so that RAM is not over consumed and gives him better performance. He wants to make it lightweight by snapping off any software he doesnt want.

This is correct. I'm trying to minimize RAM utilization, and also reduce the disk space utilization.

There are also certain applications which write to /data/data/ which is not accessible without root as far as I'm aware.

Any ETA on a root-enabled build or a suggested method for rooting the device?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Android 6.0 Tablet and TV (release candidate, maintained) ayufan 228 388,835 12-29-2020, 01:13 AM
Last Post: firmwarefile
Shocked Remote for Android? liodra 18 29,739 12-23-2020, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Learnincurve
  Adding an accelerometer to Android modsbyus 11 16,851 11-02-2020, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Little_Johnny
  Android Things OS dqvsra 2 6,998 12-03-2019, 09:52 AM
Last Post: hangglider
  Is there another link for Android images? Maalth 3 7,068 10-10-2019, 07:57 AM
Last Post: tophneal
Question Android SDK Oreo NGC6691 2 5,623 07-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Last Post: dazza5000
  Putting Android 9 RockPro64 source into easier to manage repositories dazza5000 0 3,344 07-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Last Post: dazza5000
  Android 5.1.1 TV (old-stable, no longer maintained) ayufan 194 258,909 03-12-2019, 04:53 PM
Last Post: neosapien
  Issues with SD Card and Running Android Twistedx 0 3,554 02-26-2019, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Twistedx
  Android 7.1 (PINE A64(+)) pineadmin 59 105,383 02-10-2019, 07:44 PM
Last Post: mmmarcus