[split] U-Boot with NVMe support, keyboard & display working
Nice guys Smile You just discovered and "undocumented" feature Smile
I have uploaded new u-boot version 2021.01.

I have removed opinionated boot menu where you select device to boot from. So if you are really attached to it - DO NOT UPGRADE.

It still has extlinux.conf based menu where you can select system/kernel to boot.

https://gitlab.com/as400l/pbp-uboot-disp...15.01.2021
I assume this new upload still doesn't work with deep sleep, unlike MrFixit's v2.0 release from https://github.com/mrfixit2001/updates_r...filesystem?
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons
So there isn't a uboot can boot nvme and make suspend working? Or someone is working on this issue?
Where can I track this?
(01-15-2021, 11:58 PM)plumlis Wrote: So there isn't a uboot can boot nvme and make suspend working? Or someone is working on this issue?

I happen to be working on this right now (specifically, on getting suspend functionality working in the ARM Trusted Firmware reference implementation). I don't know whether anyone else is looking into this as well but if they are, I'm happy to share information.

If I succeed in getting it working, I'll post a thread here with the details.
(01-15-2021, 07:26 AM)as400 Wrote: I have uploaded new u-boot version 2021.01.

I have removed opinionated boot menu where you select device to boot from. So if you are really attached to it - DO NOT UPGRADE.

It still has extlinux.conf based menu where you can select system/kernel to boot.

https://gitlab.com/as400l/pbp-uboot-disp...15.01.2021

Can I ask, why remove the boot device menu?

Are there any fixes or new features in this release or does it just remove that menu?
Some answers from me:

1. Suspend not working has nothing to do with uboot - rather with ATF - as Simon wrote.
2. This uboot is a 2021.01 version. There are no new features but some fixes.
3. I removed opinionated boot menu since it doesn't have any added value. If I want to boot from e.g. sdcard I just insert it and boot. That's all. No need for a fancy menu for this. Also I didn't want to rebase opinionated boot patches for 2021.01 version. Last, but not least, uboot just feels faster without them.

@simonsouth - there are two other people working on ATF. Come to #Pinebook channel on Matrix or IRC. Look for @theotherjimmy and @CrystalGamma.
(01-18-2021, 02:08 AM)as400 Wrote: @simonsouth - there are two other people working on ATF...

Thanks, I'll try to catch up with them.
(01-18-2021, 02:08 AM)as400 Wrote: Some answers from me:

1. Suspend not working has nothing to do with uboot - rather with ATF - as Simon wrote.
Perhaps a stupid question then.

In MrFixit's release there are three files, uboot.img, idbloader.img, and trust.img. I assume trust.img is what contains ATF? If that's correct, then that file hasn't changed since MrFixit's release 1.1. Danielt's script was originally using release 1.4, and with it suspend didn't work, but after upgrading to MrFixit's release 2.0 suspend works, and the only change there is uboot.img. Your build has idbloader.img and u-boot.itb, which I assume (perhaps incorrectly?) are the equivalent of idbloader.img and uboot.img in MrFixit's release and need to be written to eMMC at the same locations. That means I'd be still using the same ATF as trust.img in MrFixit's release. When I tried using your u-boot build suspend wouldn't work properly (it's been some time now, but IIRC machine would simply freeze on suspend).

Was it that one of my assumptions is incorrect, or did I miss something else? Because honestly if I can get suspend to work I'd much rather use your build than carry a recovery microSD card with me everywhere in case there are any boot problems with a new kernel.
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons
@moonwalkers - MrFixit's uboot is basically Rockchip BSP uboot (and ATF). It has some binary blobs (afaik in ATF) from Rockchip doing god knows what. The difference is that, when using uboot from this thread, you're running completely open source uboot and ATF with no binary blobs from SBC manufacturer.

Suspend problems are being worked on. But I don't know if or when they will be resolved in mainline ATF. Apparently it's not so easy because the problem exists for a long time now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  uboot wont boot to SD card after upgrade jbradley419 7 775 01-19-2024, 02:29 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Video Flashing/adjusting on boot and reboot jbradley419 0 282 01-16-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: jbradley419
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 2,191 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  PBP won't boot after trying to reinstall Manjaro ARM soupgirl 3 672 12-13-2023, 08:17 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Various freezes during boot & while running several Linux distros - hardware error? donuts 1 573 11-22-2023, 11:47 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Selling my Pinebook Pro with a bootable NVMe WD SSD drive pinemouth 0 751 09-27-2023, 08:53 PM
Last Post: pinemouth
  Cannot boot to Kali SD card after uboot upgrade jbradley419 4 1,155 09-19-2023, 08:48 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  Dead Pinebook Pro Keyboard Keys calinb 2 1,039 09-02-2023, 12:31 PM
Last Post: calinb
  Does latest Tow-Boot install/work correctly for everyone? tophneal 4 1,849 08-03-2023, 03:30 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  power on Pinebook Pro mainboard without keyboard? papable 0 834 07-20-2023, 11:06 PM
Last Post: papable