Possible IDE?
(06-23-2016, 08:42 AM)NexusDude Wrote: It'd be nice if something were installed with the images, like IDLE on Raspbian, I believe.

I see in this tread two sings mixed up:

- One compile an image from scratch

- Second program the GPIO/Euler

I think you want something like Mate Desktop with an IDE?
(05-16-2016, 04:18 PM)yuvgin (OP) Wrote: I'm looking for a freeware IDE and some instructions on how to create a simple and basic image of my own.

I'd like to control the GPIO pins and maybe experiment a bit with some UART communication.

I'm a hardware engineering student and have a bit of experience with MCUs. I just got my PINE last week, but had no luck in finding a proper tutorial or guide on how to fully control all the of the cool PINE features.

I saw that it may be possible using an eclipse based platform for ARM devices called DS-5, but once installed it didn't offer anything more than a empty editor and no explanations.

Any advice at all would be great!
(06-23-2016, 10:05 AM)JasperBrown Wrote:
(06-23-2016, 08:42 AM)NexusDude Wrote: It'd be nice if something were installed with the images, like IDLE on Raspbian, I believe.
I see in this tread two sings mixed up:
- One compile an image from scratch
- Second program the GPIO/Euler

I think you want something like Mate Desktop with an IDE?
The OP mentioned both those things, true. The replies focus on the freeware IDE / GPIO end of things, which is my main interest (although knowing how to compile an image could be handy).

I want to learn how to use the GPIO and other pins. Can I just apply whatever works on the RPi directly to the Pine64, or is there some different driver or configuration file I would need?

EDIT: Edit: OK, this post is a good source for the below question. 

For example, in Python, can I just code as follows?
Code:
import RPi.GPIO as GPIO
GPIO.setup(18, GPIO.OUT)
etc.
Or does there need to be a Pine64.GPIO object to import, and maybe I'd need to convert pine 18 to 72, as per the Pine64 pinout?
NexusDude of Central Texas
  • Setup: Pine64+ 2GB, On/Off button, RTC battery, 5V fan, LG 1.8A power adapter, Cat6 Ethernet, HDMI to TV, USB keyboard & mouse, SanDisk Ultra mSD "32GB" (28.7GB). Using Win32DiskImager.
  • Best OS experiences: Debian XFCE >> Android Lollipop > the rest
(06-23-2016, 10:44 AM)NexusDude Wrote: For example, in Python, can I just code as follows?
Code:
import RPi.GPIO as GPIO
GPIO.setup(18, GPIO.OUT)
etc.
Or does there need to be a Pine64.GPIO object to import, and maybe I'd need to convert pine 18 to 72, as per the Pine64 pinout?

Yes, you can do that; however, you will need to download and install the codes from here

They are incomplete, but you will be able to use the RPi port for in|out as usual... pwm not ready yet, and not sure about i2c spi, etc.

I have tested with debian and ubuntu and the RPi.GPIO for PineA64 works for in|out...
(05-16-2016, 04:18 PM)yuvgin Wrote: Hi,

I'm looking for a freeware IDE and some instructions on how to create a simple and basic image of my own.

I'd like to control the GPIO pins and maybe experiment a bit with some UART communication.

I'm a hardware engineering student and have a bit of experience with MCUs. I just got my PINE last week, but had no luck in finding a proper tutorial or guide on how to fully control all the of the cool PINE features.

I saw that it may be possible using an eclipse based platform for ARM devices called DS-5, but once installed it didn't offer anything more than a empty editor and no explanations.

Any advice at all would be great!

Thanks!

Today I finished the assembly of the latest version of the development environment Codeblocks.
eXtra can be read here: http: //www.codeblocks.org/.
Screenshots running version you can find here: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...4#pid14694.

If you will approach this development environment. So, depending on the community's decision, I will publish a detailed assembly instructions or give information necessary for Integration of the current distribution Ubuntu.