My Daily Manual QA
Notes: inbound and outbound calls did not function for tests. No progress on outstanding lock issue. No progress on outstanding timesync issue. No progress on camera functionality.

Results: ubports/2020-08-12

Conclusion: UBPorts is not matured enough to be a potential candidate for the pinephone to be a daily driver.

Major issues:
UBPorts is unable to keep time in sleep mode.
UBPorts gets stuck in wait state when clicking the sleep/power button multiple times rapidly.
(08-12-2020, 11:34 AM)plainenough Wrote: Notes: inbound and outbound calls did not function for tests. No progress on outstanding lock issue. No progress on outstanding timesync issue. No progress on camera functionality.

Conclusion: UBPorts is not matured enough to be a potential candidate for the pinephone to be a daily driver.

Major issues:
UBPorts gets stuck in wait state when clicking the sleep/power button multiple times rapidly.
I agree with time lock button and camera but i have no idea why you keep reporting issues with calls and texts. Mine has been working and stable for a long time now. Since build 114 I've had stable calls and text and since 117 I've had stable data. I'd guess this might be some service provider specific settings.

Agreed that there's still lots of room for improvement. Gps, camera etc. Time sync normally works but once in a while it gets thrown off, but eventually corrects itself. Really want call volume adjustable and screen brightness should be able to be turned down lower.
(07-22-2020, 03:32 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Have you compared this to Mobian  (from sd card)  ?

(08-12-2020, 12:39 PM)Cree Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 11:34 AM)plainenough Wrote: Notes: inbound and outbound calls did not function for tests. No progress on outstanding lock issue. No progress on outstanding timesync issue. No progress on camera functionality.

Major issues:
I agree with time lock button and camera but i have no idea why you keep reporting issues with calls and texts. Mine has been working and stable for a long time now. Since build 114 I've had stable calls and text and since 117 I've had stable data. I'd guess this might be some service provider specific settings.

Agreed that there's still lots of room for improvement. Gps, camera etc. Time sync normally works but once in a while it gets thrown off, but eventually corrects itself. Really want call volume adjustable and screen brightness should be able to be turned down lower.

So, the inconsistencies might be related to a few things.
1) Changes you have made to your device.
2) The type of calls your phone is making.
3) Differences in carriers/settings/etc.
4) Corruption carried over from my device via initial flash.

Texts have been working for quite a while with no issues.

#4- Today I'm going to re-flash UBPorts to the latest release and switch to the development channel to reset my device to eliminate potential issue with #4.

#3 - My carrier is T-Mobile US (prepaid).

#2 - I only attempt calls on 4G/LTE (My 2g/3g calls appear to work.) I will add clarity here to my results to make sure that I don't offer confusion. This is a likely source of our testing discrepancies.

I will also update some of my testing steps for clarity listed HERE.

Feel free to offer up suggestion and questions. It will only help me generate better results.
Great job on your start-up of rating of the available operating systems.

I hope you can add PMOS  to your test list soon.

Thank you
I Flashed my device eMMC yesterday and skipped testing. I flashed my device to remove potential skewing of results and eliminate technical 'cruft' from affecting my results. Between yesterday and today camera functionality has been introduced. Even though the camera was a little laggy, I was able to snap a picture. This is great progress. I also added a few more tests.

Results: ubports/2020-08-14

Conclusion: This OS is not ready for the pinephone to become a daily driver.

UBPorts unable to keep time. 
Phone gets into a weird lock state.

Notes:  Good progress on these most recent builds. I am going to begin testing one more carrier as it appears that t-mobile might have issues. I am also now testing 3G calls as well as 4G calls.
(08-14-2020, 02:22 PM)plainenough Wrote: I Flashed my device eMMC yesterday and skipped testing. I flashed my device to remove potential skewing of results and eliminate technical 'cruft' from affecting my results. Between yesterday and today camera functionality has been introduced. Even though the camera was a little laggy, I was able to snap a picture. This is great progress. I also added a few more tests.

Notes:  Good progress on these most recent builds. I am going to begin testing one more carrier as it appears that t-mobile might have issues. I am also now testing 3G calls as well as 4G calls.
I am using Mint Mobile (uses T-Mobile network) and still cannot make call outbound but can receive calls and send and receive texts. This is with the 2G/3G/4G option selected. You said you are able to make calls with the 2G/3G option only?
PinePhone UBports CE and Mobian on SD, Mint Mobile, Pinebook Pro Manjaro
(08-14-2020, 02:53 PM)klick Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 02:22 PM)plainenough Wrote: I Flashed my device eMMC yesterday and skipped testing. I flashed my device to remove potential skewing of results and eliminate technical 'cruft' from affecting my results. Between yesterday and today camera functionality has been introduced. Even though the camera was a little laggy, I was able to snap a picture. This is great progress. I also added a few more tests.

I am using Mint Mobile (uses T-Mobile network) and still cannot make call outbound but can receive calls and send and receive texts. This is with the 2G/3G/4G option selected. You said you are able to make calls with the 2G/3G option only?

I was able to get a call to connect, but had no audio pass through either way. I think with the recent changes going on at T-Mobile there might be some carrier specific issues to look out for. I am working on getting another carrier to test with as well.

I switched to the 2G/3G option and was finally able to make a call out. Sound is very low.
(08-14-2020, 03:08 PM)klick Wrote:

I switched to the 2G/3G option and was finally able to make a call out. Sound is very low.
I have Mint Mobile as well. The issue I have on 2G/3G is that I can make and receive calls and the volume is ok but my outgoing SMS messages fail. Are you having the same issues? I have no problem making and receiving calls and SMS on Mobian in 4G. It's not an issue with the Carrier in my opinion.
(08-15-2020, 06:51 AM)livanti21 Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 03:08 PM)klick Wrote:

I have Mint Mobile as well. The issue I have on 2G/3G is that I can make and receive calls and the volume is ok but my outgoing SMS messages fail. Are you having the same issues? I have no problem making and receiving calls and SMS on Mobian in 4G. It's not an issue with the Carrier in my opinion.
I can make and receive calls and both send and receive texts on Mobian. The sound quality is not the best. For the APN (Access Point), I use "Ultra" for the Name and "Wholesale" for the APN. Username and Password are left blank. Network is 2G, 3G, 4G and I have Mobile Data and Roaming Data on.

I have not had any issues with failed SMS on Mobian so far. If you are referring to the 2G/3G on UBports, apparently something is still not working properly as I was only able to make one call out and then a few minutes later it stopped working again. I am back to only being able to receive calls and send and receive texts on UBports.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Daily QA - 2020-10-01 plainenough 1 2,938 10-02-2020, 09:56 PM
Last Post: Phillip Bell
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-30 plainenough 0 1,919 09-30-2020, 01:48 PM
Last Post: plainenough
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-28 plainenough 3 5,013 09-29-2020, 10:51 AM
Last Post: LinAdmin2
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-29 plainenough 0 1,903 09-29-2020, 08:32 AM
Last Post: plainenough
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-01 plainenough 2 3,788 09-29-2020, 07:51 AM