My Daily Manual QA
(07-30-2020, 04:26 PM)plainenough Wrote: Sorry for the mixup yesterday, I uploaded the wrong report into ubports folder. I have started building out a management system for test results and have recruited a fellow linux engineer to begin testing with another pinephone ce device. We should begin seeing a rampup of testing speeds and a little better comparison between different operating systems.

Conclusion: This os isn't ready for the pinephone to be a daily driver.

Note: Still no audio since dev-114 persists across reboots using OTA updates. Phone still doesn't keep time.

For a list of the test cases and basic steps: https://github.com/plainenough/pinehphon...asets.yaml Expect very much rough draft for this moment, but I will try to keep a list of simple steps and test cases for your viewing pleasure/questions that might come up about my methods.

ubports/2020-07-30
Thanks. Following the different tests, I can see it is slowly improving. Some times seems nothing happen. Following tracks give more hope! Smile
this is cool, just I wish there were more distributions tested
Your QA is a useful tool but your results differ from mine where i have posted separately. Build 14 was pretty good for me except data. As of build 117, data is more stable, though i havent tested from too many locations. Where i have tested however, it works. Following other advice in this forum i've gotten just about everything i need working on the phone except the camera.

Im not a big camera person, so this isnt critical for me, but its certainly nice to have. The only issue i currently have are that in-call volume is constant, and the volume buttons dont change it. NBD since i can still hear and its not blasting loud either. The next issue is that screen is way too bright, even on lowest setting. Screen brightness does adjust which is good but i feel the dimmest setting is already very bright, and the brightest is just overkill. Fixing this might be a good battery saver too! Last issue is that having to initialize gos from terminal each time is a pain. Since we know the script, lets run it from the toggle or boot!

All in all, I'd say on build 117 the PinePhone modestly passes my QA and could well be a daily driver for many. It well surpases the capability of the 2012/2013 era smartphones if you don't care for photos. All other convenience or gimmick luxuries we forfeited coming into this. We're here for functioning phones, not spyware filled eyeball flashers. For where we are with what we've got, im thus-far pleased. Alas i would very much like to see continued progress, improvements, and involvement in this community from UBportsto ensure all is being addressed.
(08-01-2020, 01:04 AM)Cree Wrote: Your QA is a useful tool but your results differ from mine where i have posted separately. Build 14 was pretty good for me except data. As of build 117, data is more stable, though i havent tested from too many locations. Where i have tested however, it works. Following other advice in this forum i've gotten just about everything i need working on the phone except the camera.

Im not a big camera person, so this isnt critical for me, but its certainly nice to have. The only issue i currently have are that in-call volume is constant, and the volume buttons dont change it. NBD since i can still hear and its not blasting loud either. The next issue is that screen is way too bright, even on lowest setting. Screen brightness does adjust which is good but i feel the dimmest setting is already very bright, and the brightest is just overkill. Fixing this might be a good battery saver too! Last issue is that having to initialize gos from terminal each time is a pain. Since we know the script, lets run it from the toggle or boot!

All in all, I'd say on build 117 the PinePhone modestly passes my QA and could well be a daily driver for many. It well surpases the capability of the 2012/2013 era smartphones if you don't care for photos. All other convenience or gimmick luxuries we forfeited coming into this. We're here for functioning phones, not spyware filled eyeball flashers. For where we are with what we've got, im thus-far pleased. Alas i would very much like to see continued progress, improvements, and involvement in this community from UBportsto ensure all is being addressed.

Yeah I can speak to this and why there might be differences. I haven't made any changes to the OS (except enable ssh) or any reconfiguration of any default settings. (except switching to the development channel for OTA updates.) I'm really trying to give a report that reflects an end user perspective of the OS. Not a power user. This is where most of our differences most likely live.
(08-01-2020, 01:04 AM)Cree Wrote: Your QA is a useful tool but your results differ from mine where i have posted separately. Build 14 was pretty good for me except data. As of build 117, data is more stable, though i havent tested from too many locations. Where i have tested however, it works. Following other advice in this forum i've gotten just about everything i need working on the phone except the camera.

I think I'll have to disagree with you in that, I had to restart my phone twice yesterday just to re-enable sending text messages. Though I only knew I needed to restart my phone by trying to text myself and seeing that it wasn't going through even though it said I had service. That is the deal breaker for me where I shouldn't have to check on wether or not my phone is able to send or receive messages. I'm hoping in the next couple of months that they can get it much better. The moment I can use the phone without having to restart it, either for texting or WiFi to work, then I think it's a daily driver. That being said, I can't agree more that the screen is way too bright. I am constantly checking my brightness because I always have it down as low as it can but then I look at it and think it's way to bright.

Can you clarify:
Quote:Your QA is a useful tool but your results differ from mine where i have posted separately.
Where is posted?
Quote:As of build 117, data is more stable, though i havent tested from too many locations. Where i have tested however, it works.
Are we talking about plan coverage? why locations should be important to test the phone?
Quote:Im not a big camera person, so this isnt critical for me, but its certainly nice to have.
You do not need to use it. However, since the hone comes with camera, we cannot say is fully functional if the camera doesn't work.
Quote:i would very much like to see continued progress, improvements, and involvement in this community from UBportsto ensure all is being addressed.

Yees! I hope too!!
The thread originator is comparing  'out of the box'  operating systems for informational use.
It is a bit of dedicated effort on the posters part.
  We can start more threads to explore more specific areas if we care to.

Thank you for sharing with us @plainenough         I  for one,  do appreciate it.
(08-04-2020, 03:01 PM)bcnaz Wrote: The thread originator is comparing  'out of the box'  operating systems for informational use.
It is a bit of dedicated effort on the posters part.
  We can start more threads to explore more specific areas if we care to.

Thank you for sharing with us @plainenough         I  for one,  do appreciate it.
Sorry, to whom are you answering? I am lost...
Note to all: Sorry for the delay, a few friends of mine hunkered down last week to piece together a wider list of OS's to test. We are also in active development of a simple portal to help aggregate our numbers to begin a little more data analysis.

Here is a link to the next set of results: ubports/2020-08-10

Outstanding issues with this OS:

Multiple clicks on sleep button causes phone to enter wait state.
UBPorts unable to keep time: Critical issue

Results: This OS is not ready for pinephone to become a daily driver.

Other notes:

Due to the locking issues and the time sync issues, there are MAJOR problems with the current dev builds.
Notes: No progress on audio quality. No progress on outstanding issues with timesync. No progress on camera functionality.

Results: ubports/2020-08-11

Conclusion: UBPorts is not matured enough to be a potential candidate for the pinephone to be a daily driver.

Major issues:
UBPorts unable to keep time. This is a critical issue. 
UBPorts gets stuck in wait state when clicking the sleep/power button multiple times rapidly.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Daily QA - 2020-10-01 plainenough 1 2,947 10-02-2020, 09:56 PM
Last Post: Phillip Bell
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-30 plainenough 0 1,927 09-30-2020, 01:48 PM
Last Post: plainenough
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-28 plainenough 3 5,040 09-29-2020, 10:51 AM
Last Post: LinAdmin2
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-29 plainenough 0 1,912 09-29-2020, 08:32 AM
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-01 plainenough 2 3,805 09-29-2020, 07:51 AM