Announcement: DietPi for PineA64
I get where you're going with this, but I'm with jkmooney on this one! Big Grin For the exact reason we have the Arduino ecosystem, I believe projects like DietPi have a very important role to play - making things accessible to the masses. All the computing and automation stuff was intended to make life easier, so to deliberately put our heads in the sand is not what I would call progress! :-P In other words, just like how the Arduino came about to make it possible for graphics designers, artists, and newbie computer science guys get access to programmable electronics without need to know massive amounts of computer theory, DietPi lets the average joe pick up a board like the Raspberry Pi, install an optimised OS, and then easily pick from the curated software choices. If you just want to install NextDrive... why should it be hard?

But if you wanted to learn how to setup it all up yourself, it wouldn't be the best option... unless you wanted to read through the scripts and see how it all works! Plus you always have the option of just ignoring all the pretty menus, and striking out on your own to configure / break it!

(10-04-2016, 08:48 PM)dkryder Wrote: there is something troubling about dietpi. it removes people from the process that they should experience when setting up and maintaining a debian installation. in a way it's like reading cliff notes instead of reading the book.. i do think that they have done a good job with the scripts but at the same time think the interface is in need of redesign. many things in life just are not very easy and require effort and work and dietpi kinda short circuits that belief in a way.
(10-04-2016, 08:58 PM)KablammoNick Wrote: EDIT2: Well F&*k me. Forgot I also ordered the Pine PoE adapter, gave that a go, and it works fine.
Now to try and get the power supply replaced. Ugh.

Unfortunately, there is probably nothing wrong with your power supply. Unless the pine64 PoE spliiter supports so called "phantom power" injection (meaning power and data over the same lines), it is probably a 100Mbit only capable splitter, meaning you have a pine64 suffering from the GbE issue plaguing some other users (and the splitter has just dropped the pine64 back to a 100Mbit link). You can test for this by removing the PoE splitter, and running ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full to force your pine64 to not use the autonegotiated 1000 GbE speeds, and use 100Mbit (you may need to install ethtool first - apt-get install ethtool net-tools). If it behaves, GbE autonegotiation is probably failing. Why, we don't know yet - there is some testing being done in the belief that it is software related, but some evidence indicates it may also hardware related in some instances.
(10-06-2016, 07:33 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(10-04-2016, 08:58 PM)KablammoNick Wrote: EDIT2: Well F&*k me. Forgot I also ordered the Pine PoE adapter, gave that a go, and it works fine.
Now to try and get the power supply replaced. Ugh.

Unfortunately, there is probably nothing wrong with your power supply. Unless the pine64 PoE spliiter supports so called "phantom power" injection (meaning power and data over the same lines), it is probably a 100Mbit only capable splitter, meaning you have a pine64 suffering from the GbE issue plaguing some other users (and the splitter has just dropped the pine64 back to a 100Mbit link). You can test for this by removing the PoE splitter, and running ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full to force your pine64 to not use the autonegotiated 1000 GbE speeds, and use 100Mbit (you may need to install ethtool first - apt-get install ethtool net-tools). If it behaves, GbE autonegotiation is probably failing. Why, we don't know yet - there is some testing being done in the belief that it is software related, but some evidence indicates it may also hardware related in some instances.

Well, there you go. When plugged in via the PoE adapter, switch reports 100Mbit.
Plugged in directly, back to GbE and apt-get slow as shit.
Locked down, working wonderfully.

Should I be logging a fault, or just leave it at 100Mbit, which for my purposes is fine.
(10-07-2016, 02:46 AM)KablammoNick Wrote: Should I be logging a fault, or just leave it at 100Mbit, which for my purposes is fine.

It's really up to you. If you're happy with it, then probably leave it, unless you think you'll want the higher speed GbE in the near future. If so, flick TL Lim a PM, and let him know you have a potentially faulty board, and he'll work out something with you. Bet you're glad you didn't get that new PSU now! Big Grin
Thanks very much for the image. Lightweight, fast and very easy for noob like me. LMS working as good as on openpeak joggler.

(10-06-2016, 07:33 PM)pfeerick Wrote: ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full to force your pine64 to not use the autonegotiated 1000 GbE speeds, and use 100Mbit (you may need to install ethtool first - apt-get install ethtool net-tools). If it behaves, GbE autonegotiation is probably failing.

Think I'm one of the unlucky ones with faulty GbE board as it was painfully slow downloads on defaults. Changing to 100 full duplex improved things but had to edit /etc/network/interface to survive reboots.
@ghostivv: It looks like they were able to resolve the GbE issue. It's a hardware issue (board level) that can be corrected by manually altering a register in the PHY via software.

http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=835&page=22

@rhkean:
First off, appreciate your putting this together.
Given the continued active development (and fixes) by longsleep and others, is DietPi actively pulling Kernel updates?
How is non-user land DietPi maintained with respect to the Pine64?
Thanks for DietPI, I love it.
Hi,

I've installed Dietpi on my Pine64 and I'm running the Mate desktop. I'm trying to figure out how to rotate the desktop and use it in portrait mode but not having much luck. Any ideas?
Hi,

I have installed DietPi, currently the audio goes through HDMI connection, but I want to use the headphone audio jack as output, is there any way to make it working? I can see there are 2 options in system menu (HDMI and USB). Thank you.
Older thread but thank you for putting this together - it is one of the only distros that does a good job with supporting the quirky Pine64. The 'special sauce' of the setup and configuration makes it feel like an actually OK SBC.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Installing DietPi to EMMC on Rock64 rrosenheim 0 2,867 05-29-2019, 10:13 PM
Last Post: rrosenheim
  Announcement: OMV (OpenMediaVault) for PINE64 DuDu371 11 32,880 12-07-2018, 09:52 PM
Last Post: flinkazoid
  Cannot install Dstat on Debian Base PineA64 image ywoody 6 7,596 07-11-2016, 07:15 PM
Last Post: dkryder