Announcement: DietPi for PineA64
(07-19-2016, 04:12 PM)charudatt Wrote: Need help to install a external USB sound card.

How do I disable the Internal Sound Card ?

We need to know the device ID for the USB card (if its compatible)

Install this:

Code:
apt-get install alsa-utils -y

Then run these commands and paste results:

Code:
aplay -l
aplay -L
Shocked 
Update...  I installed DietPI on one of my Pine64+ GB boards yesterday - and it runs like a DREAM - compared to any other Linux build I've used on Pine!

Got almost EVERYTHING working!

Ethernet (yet to run some iperf stats on it) : check
WiFi : check
HDMI : check (but still unable to run 1366x768!)
XFCE4 : check (got compositing turned on and it's kinda okay even without GPU drivers)
Chromium : check (and it's actually 'usable' with 10 tabs open!)
Synergy : check

No bluetooth of course - but not surprised at all - I'm used to DISAPPOINTMENT with Pine hardware  Sad - all hardware supplied without ANY manufacturer support (or bare arse support)...  And there's no denying there's a LOT of bitterness and anger over this whole production cycle and the shambles of the campaign...

Anyway I'd HIGHLY recommend DietPI on Pine64 for a desktop experience, over any of the other options.  It's KickArse

Big thanks to Longsleep and Fourdee!  And LennyRaposo if they also had anything to do with getting BSP and DietPi talking happily.

I give DietPI on Pine64 FOUR stars out of FIVE!
--- edit ---
Nearly forgot to mention - I get a fair bit more mileage out of a 2000 mAh battery running DeitPI than I did with the 18th July Debian XFCE4 build...
(09-22-2016, 09:13 PM)UnixOutlaw Wrote: Update...  I installed DietPI on one of my Pine64+ GB boards yesterday - and it runs like a DREAM - compared to any other Linux build I've used on Pine!

Got almost EVERYTHING working!

Ethernet (yet to run some iperf stats on it) : check
WiFi : check
HDMI : check (but still unable to run 1366x768!)
XFCE4 : check (got compositing turned on and it's kinda okay even without GPU drivers)
Chromium : check (and it's actually 'usable' with 10 tabs open!)
Synergy : check

No bluetooth of course - but not surprised at all - I'm used to DISAPPOINTMENT with Pine hardware  Sad - all hardware supplied without ANY manufacturer support (or bare arse support)...  And there's no denying there's a LOT of bitterness and anger over this whole production cycle and the shambles of the campaign...

Anyway I'd HIGHLY recommend DietPI on Pine64 for a desktop experience, over any of the other options.  It's KickArse

Big thanks to Longsleep and Fourdee!  And LennyRaposo if they also had anything to do with getting BSP and DietPi talking happily.

I give DietPI on Pine64 FOUR stars out of FIVE!
--- edit ---
Nearly forgot to mention - I get a fair bit more mileage out of a 2000 mAh battery running DeitPI than I did with the 18th July Debian XFCE4 build...

so glad to hear it's all working for you.  Sorry about the bluetooth.  We haven't been able to get that working yet.

-rob
(09-23-2016, 06:52 AM)rhkean Wrote: so glad to hear it's all working for you.  Sorry about the bluetooth.  We haven't been able to get that working yet.

It might be necessary to enable that "CONFIG_SERIAL_8250" config in the kernel, going by a comment in the start_bt.sh shell script  that is used to get bluetooth working on the pine64 debian build (https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8723bs_bt my notes on installing here). I've tried to install it on DietPi, with no luck. When digging a bit deeper I saw the reference to that kernel config flag, and see that it is not set on the current build of DietPi for Pine64.
How to install libre office on dietpi (xfce desktop)?
I have a problem, empty space using "dietpi explorer" to find files.
Hi Rob, first of all thanks for getting this on the Pine.
I'm having a bit of an issue with updates though - seems to fail:

rl: (56) SSL read: error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0), errno 104
[Failed] Download failed, unable to run update. Please try running dietpi-update again.

Thoughts?

Going to re-download the image and try from scratch again now.

EDIT: Fresh image, now stuck at:
Code:
───────────────────────────────────────
DietPi     | Update available
V126       | Pine A64+ 2GB (aarch64)
IP Address | 192.168.1.98

Waiting for apt-get update to finish: Please wait...

apt-cache database size: 260 KB

D I E T  P I  # processing | D I E T  P #    processing

Has been going for a good 20 minutes now. Currently on version 126, trying to update to 132.
Ok then, sounds like this one is coming along nicely, I guess this is the next one to go on the "experimental SD card".

Lenny's Debian/Mate build is the one to beat though. Wink
It's up and running. Had to connect via ethernet cable to get it going (did try to set up wifi on initial boot but, didn't work). Once up though, wifi was easy enough to get going. Very lightweight.
there is something troubling about dietpi. it removes people from the process that they should experience when setting up and maintaining a debian installation. in a way it's like reading cliff notes instead of reading the book.. i do think that they have done a good job with the scripts but at the same time think the interface is in need of redesign. many things in life just are not very easy and require effort and work and dietpi kinda short circuits that belief in a way.
(10-04-2016, 08:48 PM)dkryder Wrote: there is something troubling about dietpi. it removes people from the process that they should experience when setting up and maintaining a debian installation. in a way it's like reading cliff notes instead of reading the book.. i do think that they have done a good job with the scripts but at the same time think the interface is in need of redesign. many things in life just are not very easy and require effort and work and dietpi kinda short circuits that belief in a way.

I get it but, it seems to be what it's intended to be.  That is, a light weight linux that "gets out fo the way" of hobbiest who might be more interested in just running Kodi or accessing GPIO.  I'm actually thinking of showing this to my dad - who has an older Raspberry - because I think it's better than Raspbian for his needs.

...all that being said though, I did install Synaptic and a few more Mate "bells and whistles" on my Pine64 installation.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Installing DietPi to EMMC on Rock64 rrosenheim 0 2,864 05-29-2019, 10:13 PM
Last Post: rrosenheim
  Announcement: OMV (OpenMediaVault) for PINE64 DuDu371 11 32,874 12-07-2018, 09:52 PM
Last Post: flinkazoid
  Cannot install Dstat on Debian Base PineA64 image ywoody 6 7,590 07-11-2016, 07:15 PM
Last Post: dkryder