A bit smaller?
I'm sorry if this subject was already discussed (I'm noob here), but was/is it even considered to build a smaller (version of) pinephone?
I'd love to have something which easily fits into a pocket (4,5 - 4,7'') and strongly I believe I'm not the only one!

I get it that it is probably more troublesome to squeeze all that bowels into a smaller space, on the other hand battery could (probably shouldn't) be smaller, proportionally to screen size.

It's practically impossible to buy android phone of this size, although smallest iphones are v.popular. Someone will say, well there may be reason for that i.e. people want &buy them. I disagree, give us  a choice of a logical (more powerful, open, with removable battery, with extendable memory etc.) small device and, I bet, it will bite! Especially if we could have any mobile linux on it Big Grin
(07-14-2020, 06:48 AM)In_the _pines Wrote: Hi,

I would also be interested in a slightly smaller phone. Keen to buy a pine phone (not currently in the store? ) but longer term want something with some brains to fit in my pocket with all the other crap I carry around.

Cheers

I'm sorry if this subject was already discussed (I'm noob here), but was/is it even considered to build a smaller (version of) pinephone?
I'd love to have something which easily fits into a pocket (4,5 - 4,7'') and strongly I believe I'm not the only one!

I get it that it is probably more troublesome to squeeze all that bowels into a smaller space, on the other hand battery could (probably shouldn't) be smaller, proportionally to screen size.

It's practically impossible to buy android phone of this size, although smallest iphones are v.popular. Someone will say, well there may be reason for that i.e. people want &buy them. I disagree, give us  a choice of a logical (more powerful, open, with removable battery, with extendable memory etc.) small device and, I bet, it will bite! Especially if we could have any mobile linux on it Big Grin
As I understand it, the phone's size is a product of the PINEA64's size (the single board computer powering the phone.)

Ergo, until a successor to the PinePhone emerges, I doubt the size of the device will meaningfully decrease.

As an aside, the phone is lightweight, sturdy, and has reasonable bezels; as someone who thought the Nexus 5 was the 'perfect size' for a phone, the PinePhone is not far behind Smile
Unfortunately the trend is for "phablets" these days, rather than pocket phones, anyway.
(07-14-2020, 06:48 AM)In_the _pines Wrote: ... but was/is it even considered to build a smaller (version of) pinephone? ...

See this message from Luke found here: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...6#pid51036

Sorry for the bad news!

(10-28-2019, 08:14 AM)Luke Wrote: A smaller PinePhone would be cool, but will not happen. First of all, every millimeter matters when working with a product as new to us as a phone. Secondly, the custom moulds- such as those for the PinePhone are very expensive, so its unlikely that another set will be made in the foreseeable future (or ever).
Hmm, at least I have a clear(er) picture now...
I guess it's either accepting (highly appreciated nevertheless) efforts of Pine64 or going for some used Pixel2, to try e.g. GrapheneOS. Strange to buy the phone aimed for a given software... however if we consider it being linux(-ish, if we talk android) powered computer then it makes more sense.

Thanks for your feedback Shy 
I'll have to learn to search this forum more efficiently, especially if I want my nextcloudpi docker finally running on rock64 Big Grin
While I understand there will not be a smaller PinePhone soon (if not ever), I comment to express my interest in any smaller form factor. I would buy it immediately.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Next Pinephone should be smaller (imho) _kiwi 7 5,210 04-05-2021, 11:23 PM
Last Post: biketool