New Pinebook Pro, only boots 50% of the time
Hi all, new to the forum here

Just got my PBP delivered. I am aware of the issue with the June 2020 shipment, some batches had eMMC switch off. I checked and mine was fine. For some reason, 50% of the time my PBP won't boot. The light would turn orange, then yellow, but then nothing happens and the screen is black. I could hold the power button to kill the power, then try to restart again and again until it boots. So far the boot success rate is about 50%

Did I get a defective hardware unit, or is there a DIY hardware problem that I can try?

Thanks!
(07-13-2020, 06:22 PM)micnd90 Wrote: Hi all, new to the forum here

Just got my PBP delivered. I am aware of the issue with the June 2020 shipment, some batches had eMMC switch off. I checked and mine was fine. For some reason, 50% of the time my PBP won't boot. The light would turn orange, then yellow, but then nothing happens and the screen is black. I could hold the power button to kill the power, then try to restart again and again until it boots. So far the boot success rate is about 50%

Did I get a defective hardware unit, or is there a DIY hardware problem that I can try?

Thanks!

Do you hold the button down for a second and a half to two seconds or just a quarter second quick jab ?

I had a problem with the quick jab myself.
For me it is maybe 25% failure rate, but once it runs no issues at all.

I am guessing it has to do with the emmc not being recognized sometimes.

I notice that right after the orange light turns green it does a short flicker as if that was an error code. I need to look at it closer, but three quick blinks seems to happen when it doesn't boot or so, while non or two only (not sure) and it boots fine.
A push of the button that is too long or too short can cause this.

NOT saying that is the problem,

but I have had what appears to be the same problem, by pushing the power button for the wrong amount of time.
I have this same problem from day one. I have not been able to find the solution, although I have searched this forum, the Manjaro-ARM forum, the PBP wiki, etc ...
The PBP screen does not turn on when I start from the EMMC, but it does turn on whenever I do it from the microSD. In both I have the same OS, Manjaro ARM.
It appears that the screen must "warm up" to turn on when starting the system from the EMMC. When I need to work with the PBP I have to start it first from the microSD and after 2 minutes or more, restart it from the EMMC.
If someone finds an explanation and, above all, a solution, I will be very grateful if you put it here. Smile
I would re-flash the uboot on the eMMC. Everything I read in this thread indicates that all of you are actually booting from eMMC, at least as far as running uboot. It's failing somewhere between uboot code running and OS running.
@prokofiev
My second PBP, (ANSI), runs Manjaro now. After some re-partitioning and other file system work, (using BTRFS as root FS), rebooting did not work well. I found reverting to the U-Boot from the default Debian restored functionality, (for me). Now every time Manjaro updates with a new U-Boot, I give it a try, and when it fails, revert back to what I had before.

Basically I am waiting for an all inclusive U-Boot that works with the display, keyboard, supplies a boot menu and supports misc. file systems, like BTRFS & OpenZFS. Whence something like that is release, (and very reliable), I'll flash it to the SPI device.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
Oh for the time and ambition I once had, that would be a fun project.
FWIW, I have steadfastly avoided updating original manjaro uboot (1908) (onSD)
With my tests with blank 1st-16M (on emmc) it booted OK
So far, I think mrfixit uboot is best, that is what I still have installed on emmc
Also a good recovery SD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 1,884 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 298 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 238 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 226 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 165 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 554 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 608 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,216 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,997 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 59,117 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt