Google on Android?
Hmm. Wonder if foss will work.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Ah, so if I understand correctly, if I can get Android to boot from SD card (haven't managed yet, but that's another topic), I can't actually use it to download an app from their Play Store? Bummer if that's true. Even though my Pinebook Pro is primarily my fun linux laptop (and a very nice on at that!) I thought it would be good to also be able to run Android to support a piece of hardware I use. But yeah, if that's not possible then I'd just have to get someones old Android tablet/phone and use that for that single purpose.
You can use Aurora Store, probably. I don't know if that runs on 7.x Android. I use it on my newer devices (don't tell Google!).
Ah, I also was pointed to APKpure where the app is available too. In my case it is the Suunto App (for Suunto training watches). I suppose this should also work on the Android image for the PBP. Has anyone tried this?
https://***.androidpolice.***/2020/07/25/install-play-store-guide.. I hope this reference will be useful for you
(11-17-2020, 11:33 PM)Raniyah Wrote: https://***.androidpolice.***/2020/07/25/install-play-store-guide.. I hope this reference will be useful for you
Thank you Raniyah. Yeah I think apkmirror is related to them, another apk installation service (other than apkpure I mentioned earlier). I'm starting to understand how Android works and that you can basically install an .apk file right into android without any "store". Unless the installation requires several individual .apk files with dependencies, in which case it would still be doable but an installation manager could make things easier. In my case, I don't think I'd need that. The .apk file is readily available so I suppose it should just work. Software only available in the Google Play Store is typically the kind of software I'm not interested in anyway Wink.

That said, your response is appreciated as there sure may be others who would like to run Play Store applications. Cheers!
Have you tried downloading stuff on a phone, then using an APK extractor, then FTP the APK where you want it and do the install? I saw an APK installer. I've only tried this in Android for 10 minutes or so, then back to Linux. You can put Google Play itself through an APK extractor and do that with it. Similar problems on a Kindle which is butchered Android so only some things work.

F-Droid is worth a try too. It's a network of FOSS stuff, has an installer similar to Google Play.
(01-23-2021, 08:30 PM)ab1jx Wrote: Have you tried downloading stuff on a phone, then using an APK extractor, then FTP the APK where you want it and do the install? I saw an APK installer. I've only tried this in Android for 10 minutes or so, then back to Linux. You can put Google Play itself through an APK extractor and do that with it. Similar problems on a Kindle which is butchered Android so only some things work.

F-Droid is worth a try too. It's a network of FOSS stuff, has an installer similar to Google Play.

I would avoid F'-roid for two major reasons. First is I am sure what they want to install is not on there as most people want things like banking applications, and those FOSS applications can usually be downloaded directly from the project websites, or their GIT repos. And second major reason to avoid F-Droid is they have jumped on the cancel culture/censorship bandwagon.
(01-23-2021, 11:47 PM)KNERD Wrote:
(01-23-2021, 08:30 PM)ab1jx Wrote: Have you tried downloading stuff on  a phone, then using an APK extractor, then FTP the APK where you want it and do the install?  I saw an APK installer.  I've only tried this in Android for 10 minutes or so, then back to Linux.  You can put Google Play itself through an APK extractor and do that with it.  Similar problems on a Kindle which is butchered Android so only some things work.

F-Droid is worth a try too.  It's a network of FOSS stuff, has an installer similar to Google Play.

I would avoid F'-roid for two major reasons. First is I am sure what they want to install is not on there as most people want things like banking applications, and those FOSS applications can usually be downloaded directly from the project websites, or their GIT repos routerlogin. And second major reason to avoid F-Droid is they have jumped on the cancel culture/censorship bandwagon.
Thank you guys for the valuable advice, I have been looking for this information for a long time.
(01-23-2021, 08:30 PM)ab1jx Wrote: Have you tried downloading stuff on  a phone, then using an APK extractor, then FTP the APK where you want it and do the install?  I saw an APK installer.  I've only tried this in Android for 10 minutes or so, then back to Linux.  You can put Google Play itself through an APK extractor and do that with it.  Similar problems on a Kindle which is butchered Android so only some things work.

F-Droid is worth a try too.  It's a network of FOSS stuff, has an installer similar to Google Play.

I like this opinion. complete no frills.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No Android build working! pin 60 83,417 07-03-2021, 06:08 PM
Last Post: justiceankomah
  MD5 On Android jaysistar 0 2,659 03-14-2020, 08:38 AM
Last Post: jaysistar
  Arguments for android support metcalsr 20 30,558 02-08-2020, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Idaho
Exclamation All android buillds on wiki for Microsd missing GPT? TDC_PBP 14 20,667 01-31-2020, 11:22 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  Any word about Android builds? tophneal 36 48,558 01-26-2020, 12:06 AM
Last Post: Account
  Flashing Updated U-Boot on Android tophneal 6 10,276 01-16-2020, 06:05 AM
Last Post: tophneal