Keyboard transplant issues
Hi,

So I bought an OG ISO Pinebook Pro and then bought an ANSI keyboard when it became available. Yesterday, I had time to transplant everything from the ISO top case to the ANSI top case.

Everything appears to be working, but I am getting crazy keycodes back from the new ANSI keyboard.

q>nil, w>w, e>s, r>e, t>d, y>r, u>f, i>t, o>y, p>h, [>j, ]>-
a> nil, s>nil, d>q, f>z, etc.

Is there anything I need to do to flash something on the board to get this working correctly? Is the ribbon not installed properly (although I'm pretty sure I did it correctly).

I'm using Chromium at the moment, fwiw.

Thanks.
Information 
You definitely need to flash the ANSI keyboard firmware onto your Pinebook Pro if you switch keyboard types. I pasted the instructions from the wiki below. I am not sure if it is possible to run these instructions on Chromium OS, so I would highly recommend grabbing one of the Ubuntu releases from here: https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php?title=...re_Release, loading it onto an SD card, and running the commands listed below from there. Good luck!

ANSI Model
  • NOTE: Running step-1 on the ansi keyboard model will make the keyboard and trackpad inaccessible until step-2 is run, so an external keyboard must be connected to complete the update on this model!
From the terminal command line:
git clone https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/pineboo...rd-updater
cd pinebook-pro-keyboard-updater
sudo apt-get install build-essential libusb-1.0-0-dev xxd
make

Step 1
sudo ./updater step-1 ansi
sudo reboot

Step 2 (after reboot)
sudo ./updater step-2 ansi
sudo reboot

When done, if some of the keys produce in-correct characters, please check your OSes' language settings. For ANSI users, the default OS shipped with English UK as the default language. You can change it to English US if desired.
Thanks for the quick reply!

I though the firmware might be part of the keyboard/top case assembly, but if it's part of the logic board, that makes total sense.

I'll flash my SD and get cracking right away.
That did it. Thanks a bundle!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Major keyboard and touchpad fiemware issues Nick_dnepr 5 227 08-03-2020, 02:05 AM
Last Post: Nick_dnepr
  Pinebook Pro Revised Keyboard Firmware jackhumbert 58 15,218 07-29-2020, 02:54 PM
Last Post: as400
  If you are experinencing serious trackpad issues Luke 0 265 06-30-2020, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Luke
  Up Arrow on US Keyboard PitCritter 0 154 06-17-2020, 07:33 AM
Last Post: PitCritter
Question Is work still being done on the Pinebook Pro keyboard drivers Feakster 5 599 06-12-2020, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Arwen
  PBP with NVMe installed - Issues booting to SD eluno1 2 240 06-05-2020, 09:33 AM
Last Post: eluno1
  Keyboard - Some keys not working Christoph.Krn 0 163 05-19-2020, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Christoph.Krn
  PBP Hardware Issues zaius 16 1,720 04-27-2020, 12:00 PM
Last Post: zaius
  Touchpad, Keyboard, I2C oh my. resistanceisfutile 12 1,677 04-05-2020, 08:13 PM
Last Post: akirakyle
Question Help: Keyboard and trackpad SPI update utility broke trackpad Feakster 9 649 04-03-2020, 06:29 PM
Last Post: petertog