Next evolution motherboard for Pine Phone
(July 03, 2020)

Will the next evolution (V1.3) of Pine phone motherboards possibly be available as a replacement without having to wait for next release of the production phones ?
   ( or when will it be possible to get the v1.3 in a phone or as a part ? )

Thank you

See post # 7  !
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I saw in the June update :                                                                  July 08, 2020

They will likely continue with the 1.2 version motherboard,  but they may tweak it for the Post Market CE phones.

Is that a tease  or what ?

They had also said they were going to open pre-orders in early July,  today is the eighth of July
   How much longer can 'early July'  still be     "early" ?

If they make the next batch of phones with a 1.3 version motherboard,  early August would suit me just fine !

or possibly bring some 1.3 version motherboards to market, so we Brave Heart owners can upgrade our phones.?
               ( I see no point in upgrading my Brave Heart with a 1.2 version motherboard )

More info please Pine64,  the suspense is killing me !

Bill
I "second" the request for more info regarding the plan for correcting the hardware error in the UB CE version of the phone. I hope the upcoming monthly status update will contain such info. I was extremely disappointed when I very recently learned of the USB-C circuitry errors as they mean the phone is not actually able to live up to some of the advertised features. Obviously, I am very understanding of how this sort of thing could happen on relatively early hardware, but I still think it is rather unacceptable to ship hardware that cannot fulfill the advertised features. I'd imagine Pine was not aware of the problem until after the UBPorts production run had been completed, but I do hope Pine64 has some plan for a way to fix/correct this problem in people's phones. If this were the Braveheart Edition - which was advertised as having non-final hardware, known bugs/errors disclosed, and note that there are likely other problems yet to be discovered - I would of course feel no sense of entitlement for a fix to this. But the UBPorts edition was not advertised in that way, so I do feel a bit "burned" by this, as do the folks at Pine, I'm sure.

I really feel this error should have been disclosed in the June 15 update. I know the error had been discovered before then, as some digging reveals notes in forum posts and wiki edits going back at least to early June, but it wasn't advertised in that post or anywhere especially prominent as I only very recently became aware of it. If Pine had prominently disclosed this in the June 15 update and/or other prominent channels, I would have cancelled my order and waited for a future revision of the hardware that had sorted out the issue. I imagine there are plenty of people who do not care about the missing functionality, and who would happily buy the phones from canceled orders rather than wait an additional couple of months for the PostMarket edition. So it would have been relatively painless for Pine64 if people who really wanted the Display Out functionality had cancelled their orders on June 15. But now my phone has finally shipped, and I will either have to attempt to repair it myself or claim warranty fault, or something in order to gain the functionality I paid for.

Obviously I'm a big believer and supporter of what the PinePhone seeks to achieve, and I aim to be flexible and accommodating, but I do want to have the capabilities that were advertised. I know tone can get lost in text, so I want to make clear I'm not vitriolic at all. I do not mean to "tear down" anyone. Any criticism comes from a desire to raise the bar and improve things for all parties.
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...2#pid70832

So there does seem to be an intention to at least send the parts free of charge for anyone who can get a change of surface mount components done, even if it hasn't been widely published yet.
(07-13-2020, 05:47 AM)wibble Wrote: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...2#pid70832

So there does seem to be an intention to at least send the parts free of charge for anyone who can get a change of surface mount components done, even if it hasn't been widely published yet.
Thanks wibble for pointing that out. Glad to hear they are taking measures to mitigate the situation. I look forward to the next monthly roundup post (as I always do) to see what the plans are.
I saw somewhere in a forum post someone mentioned a 1.2a revision main board...

Or did I just imagine I saw that ?

I believe the UT Community Edition phones are version 1.2   ?

And Luke did mention in a post they "may tweak" the PMOS Community Edition main board.
before releasing it.
The Most Recent News :

The 1.2a Pine phone mainboard will become available in the Pine64 store in late November !

Thank You Pine 64
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phone will not turn on (but sometimes will) insidetrip101 10 4,370 08-18-2023, 04:28 AM
Last Post: spha
  Pine phone main board part Generaltuxenburg 1 916 07-31-2023, 07:50 PM
Last Post: tllim
  No calls on Pine Phone Beta convergence edition polypode 1 1,108 03-06-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Pine phone USB keyboard connection CleanEnergyCleanEnvironment 1 1,052 02-20-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
Thumbs Down Phone is unresponsive theneedful 14 7,181 08-12-2022, 08:18 AM
Last Post: theneedful
  Phone Dead Already? MarsColonist 4 2,546 08-11-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: auanta
  PPKB with phone; phone dies while charging SwordfishII 1 1,291 06-08-2022, 04:14 AM
Last Post: SwordfishII
  PWM whine near earpiece in low signal phone call and loud sound sent to the other end vortex 29 25,483 01-14-2022, 11:00 AM
Last Post: eugenr
Shocked Pine phone caught on fire after inserting SDcard majikbear 6 3,476 12-01-2021, 01:34 AM
Last Post: ryo
  Pine Satellite Communications biketool 2 2,545 08-30-2021, 11:35 AM
Last Post: biketool