We'll soon get camera support :)
Ok... Hey UT devevs, what is the status of the camera??
Looking at the issue report from the OP, it appears they just updated to add camera support about 10 hours ago as of this writing, though they forgot a crucial part of the image. (i.e. the v4l-utils package that contains the media-ctl binary)

However, until they update the image, you can manually install it using apt in the terminal. (Also be sure to update to the latest development image just in case. Version 140 as of this writing.) I can confirm that camera does indeed work after doing this, although there are still a few issues to note:

1. Switching to the front camera doesn't appear to work yet
2. Camera preview is extremely slow and choppy
3. The picture is reversed

There should be a media-ctl command that lets us fix the 3rd issue, but I don't know enough about it to do so.

Also, for newbies, the commands to install v4l-utils are as follows:
sudo mount -o remount,rw /
sudo apt update
sudo apt install v4l-utils

You may need to reboot after this, but I'm not sure. I rebooted just in case.
(08-13-2020, 05:47 PM)KitsuneAlicia Wrote: Looking at the issue report from the OP, it appears they just updated to add camera support about 10 hours ago as of this writing, though they forgot a crucial part of the image. (i.e. the v4l-utils package that contains the media-ctl binary)

However, until they update the image, you can manually install it using apt in the terminal. (Also be sure to update to the latest development image just in case. Version 140 as of this writing.) I can confirm that camera does indeed work after doing this, although there are still a few issues to note:

1. Switching to the front camera doesn't appear to work yet
2. Camera preview is extremely slow and choppy
3. The picture is reversed

There should be a media-ctl command that lets us fix the 3rd issue, but I don't know enough about it to do so.

Also, for newbies, the commands to install v4l-utils are as follows:
sudo mount -o remount,rw /
sudo apt update
sudo apt install v4l-utils

You may need to reboot after this, but I'm not sure. I rebooted just in case.

Hey thanks for the instructions. For me this did not work however. I'm on devel 143. It said v4l-utils are already installed. So I guess the issue was fixed. My camera app still does not work though. Might I be facing hardware issues? Or do I need to use something other than the camera application to take pictures?
Camera works out of the box for me in the latest dev build. V4L is auto installed, and existing camera app is all that's needed.
Is this at level of Mobian? better? worse?
Can confirm, camera now working! Not sure how it compares to the camera on Mobian or Manjaro yet. Iteresting thing about the image reversal, its reversed when i view it before taking the photo, but when after i take it when i open the photo the orientation is correct
I also got it working but only when I set the camera res to 16:9(2.1MP)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ADB support on Pinephone Sumwun 3 686 09-27-2023, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Sumwun
  Well, we had a camera! Cree 2 3,892 09-16-2020, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Phillip Bell
Question Camera(s) not working? UNi 9 13,439 09-06-2020, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Cree
  The Camera Hobgoblin 0 1,889 09-03-2020, 08:13 AM
Last Post: Hobgoblin
  Ubuntu Touch 6 brings camera to RC channel doelf 2 3,971 09-01-2020, 02:15 PM
Last Post: doelf