Pinephone charging issues after fully depleting battery.
(07-18-2020, 07:37 AM)brb78 Wrote: I've noticed the battery drain when off issue on Braveheart. If it has been identified as hardware related have any distros implemented a software fix or is it an issue we're stuck with?

It is a known hardware defekt. There is no software workaround; but it can be fixed, if you can handle a soldering iron. Se the wiki for the details.
I also had issues with depleted battery on Braveheart. I am now charging it in the factory test. It draws around 1.3A at the moment (started way lower) so I assume that it's charing the battery.

However, I am also getting the external battery charger to be able to charge the battery independent of the OS.
I also have a dead battery and wonder how can troubleshoot this.  I can plug the usb-c to a windows machine and it registers that something has connected but that's all.  I've tried measuring the voltage at the phone battery pins without success.  Makes me wonder if the pins have to be pressed in, e.g. battery in place, to see.  Is there anywhere I can check voltage from the usb-c?  I see 6 pins up near the serial jack.  I had tried earphones in the serial jack.  I'm wondering if the usb-c cord is bad and have no other usb-c cord or device.  Thanks.

soy
(04-05-2021, 01:06 PM)soy Wrote: I also have a dead battery and wonder how can troubleshoot this.  I can plug the usb-c to a windows machine and it registers that something has connected but that's all.  I've tried measuring the voltage at the phone battery pins without success.  Makes me wonder if the pins have to be pressed in, e.g. battery in place, to see.  Is there anywhere I can check voltage from the usb-c?  I see 6 pins up near the serial jack.  I had tried earphones in the serial jack.  I'm wondering if the usb-c cord is bad and have no other usb-c cord or device.  Thanks.

soy
If you have a basic phone charger or power bank that supports Battery Charging (NOT the more advanced Power Delivery) you should be able to remove the battery then boot the phone by connecting the charging cable. The 6 pins are documented in the Pogo Pins wiki page section whcih notes that the pin names are a little misleading. You should see 5V from the USB cable between DCIN and GND when it's powered.

If it won't boot and you don't see the 5V it could be a bad USB cable as you say. Also check whether the connectors on either end of the ribbon cable that connects the main board and the USB board are seated properly - some people have found them only partially inserted. Mine was only partially inserted at one end, but everything was working, which explains how these could get through testing at the factory. A small movement in transit would then be enough to stop it working. There are a couple of videos in the wiki showing the disassembly process for replacing the main board, which should explain how to get to the connectors.

The battery has a low voltage protection cutout which disconnects it when the voltage gets too low, and only reconnects it when it gets charged.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  various tricks to open the pinephone shengchieh 2 523 03-23-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Ferriah
  pinephone can provide more than 500mA to a usb-c displayport device? unrznbl 2 158 03-21-2024, 08:52 AM
Last Post: unrznbl
  my pinephone melted norayr 2 413 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: tllim
  power circuit can't charge battery and can't supply enough power for modem or wifi vortex 2 366 02-17-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: vortex
  pinephone keyboard + dock question tuxcall 7 2,449 02-05-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: wigan
  Unsatisfactory GPS reception on PinePhone? LinAdmin2 53 53,752 12-17-2023, 11:42 AM
Last Post: robin.com.au
  PinePhone Pro not booting (Cap error!, pctl timeout) jealda 2 1,200 11-16-2023, 05:03 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinephone frame damages Uturn 2 782 10-23-2023, 02:49 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  PinePhone Keyboard KJ6OHG 11 7,608 08-23-2023, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Kali
  PinePhone constantly vibrating and won't take charge ImmyChan 5 5,199 07-23-2023, 03:49 PM
Last Post: kb-zealot