SailfishOS status/progress?
(08-28-2020, 03:35 AM)firefox-58 Wrote: SFOS goes its way and is a well running product for all the needs of their customers. And these are NOT private programmers or some thousands??? of SFOS-X users like me.

I am their customer, my wife, you are. And probably there are thousands of us.

SailfishOS is far from being complete. User interface is complete to some extent.
Without private devs you wouldn't even have maps application of any sort. Because they don't have their own.
There is no web browser with modern engine. QT is old. And so on and on.

Be honest with yourself and take a look at your apps drawer. I bet 70% of them or even more are from Open Repos.

And now they say to devs "go f@#$k yourself". Sorry, but I can't understand it.
I do. Avrora OS is more important nowadays. That´s why i don´t really need Jolla behind SFOS on PinePhone. I would prefer a solution as open as possible instead.
(08-28-2020, 08:00 AM)Veraendert Wrote: I do. Avrora OS is more important nowadays. That´s why i don´t really need Jolla behind SFOS on PinePhone. I would prefer a solution as open as possible instead.

So Avrora is available to anyone ?
It´ s not. It probably just replaces US backdoors with Russian ones. Avrora is of no interest for me but it seems to keep Jolla afloat. They don´t sell hardware anymore and i doubt that they make an awful lot of money with SFOS licences. My point is: The free (not: FOSS) version of SFOS works great for me on 2 phones. It looks beautiful, it´s stable, snappy and it has almost everything i need. For me, the paid version isn´t of great use. I can install Android apps with it, but then what´s the point of moving away from Android when installing Android apps anyway?
I'd like to see a functioning version on the PinePhone.

Even on the sdcard, SFOS is quicker than mobian
(09-15-2020, 04:34 PM)RodneyMyers Wrote: I'd like to see a functioning version on the PinePhone.

Even on the sdcard, SFOS is quicker than mobian

YES,

and out of the box SFOS can do Caldav & Carddav. NO other pinephone OS can handle this ATM

And Yeah, it is absolutely speedy !
So I kind of avoided Sailfish because of it not being completely open, but I decided to give it a try today anyway, and, wow! It's not just the smoothest experience on a Pinephone, it's one of the nicest phone OSs I've ever used. Is there any update on official support for this? It could easily be the main install on a Pinephone if it had the same features as some of the other OSs, namely the camera and functioning GPS/maps. I thought Lomari and UT were way ahead in the UI department, but after using Sailfish I don't want to go back. If there was a Megapixels build for sailfish, I would probably make it my daily OS.
There seems to be some progress on github but i doubt that we'll see a working camera, BT & GPS soon. But yes, the UI is drop dead gorgeous.
What a shame. I see they also don't have a Signal client anymore. I almost feel bad wiping it from the SD card. I want it to be my main phone OS. Drop-dead-gorgeous is an understatement. That UI is what phone UIs have always wanted to look like. Big Grin
(10-19-2020, 02:00 PM)paintchip Wrote: What a shame. I see they also don't have a Signal client anymore. I almost feel bad wiping it from the SD card. I want it to be my main phone OS. Drop-dead-gorgeous is an understatement. That UI is what phone UIs have always wanted to look like. Big Grin
It's fairly functional on Jolla phone or Xperias. I'm using sfos since 2015 as a daily driver. So porting seems to be the main issue here.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using Windows 10 to install SailfishOS Kimberley van Buyten 1 1,223 12-05-2022, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Andidoko
  flash-it.sh script currently unable to create a SailfishOS image acrux 3 3,464 07-23-2021, 01:06 AM
Last Post: OhneZ
  Repo with flashable SailfishOS IMG files as400 24 24,255 11-05-2020, 03:18 AM
Last Post: LinAdmin2
  SailfishOS - open source collaboration meeting 19.03.2020 as400 3 4,739 06-30-2020, 09:45 AM
Last Post: patrickjquinn
  SailfishOS - Android App Support as400 15 20,864 05-28-2020, 03:29 AM
Last Post: patrickjquinn