SailfishOS status/progress?
Hi,
I'm a mainstream phone user. My intrest in gnu/linux phones is ideological and I don't have the skills nor time to tinker with linux myself. 
I previously had Nokia N9 and Jollaphone and got along just fine by following guides etc. 
I've had my PinePhone CE for about a week now and I'm considering installing SailfishOS.

What functions of the PinePhone is not yet working with Sailfish?
Are there any progress of Sailfish on the PinePhone?
Should a non-tinker person as myself switch to Sailfish or stay with UBPorts because of OTA?

I know the PinePhone is not ready to be a daily driver within a couple of months, but I don't want to make the switch if there is nobody is working on improvements.
Hi Somber0,

Currently, no OS available for PinePhone could be considered "usable as a daily driver".

As for what isn't working on SailfishOS:
- Camera.
- Wifi is very intermittent (current working workaround is to disable WiFi powersaving, which makes it way more stable).
- You will hear constant buzzing when some sound effect has been played for couple of seconds.
- Web browser

If you want, you can give this a shot yourself. Just flash the Sailfish OS to any SD-card and plop it into the PP. It will automatically boot into it.
Yes, I'd also suggest just creating an SD-card with SailfishOS and putting it into the PinePhone whenever you want to play around with it. If you want to go back to your Ubuntu Touch, then shut the phone down and take the SD-card out. It's as easy as that. SailfishOS runs really well from the SD card already.

Things that don't work (so well):

- web browser(s): you will need to use/install Webcat or WebPirate, but the experience still sucks...
- modem/SIM-card: should be supported under the hood / via cli but not yet in the GUI
- sound: strange crackles after/while playing any sound. Also, the volume can't really be adjusted (?)
- automatic brightness (don't you dare switch that on, you'll regret it), same as very low manual brightness settings
- camera(s)

BUT:

- Double-tap to wake works (yay!!)
- You can install pretty much anything from OpenRepos without problems
- Thus, Depecher works very well for Telegram
- the UI feels snappy, doesn't lag and looks crisp (something I don't quite find for Ubuntu Touch)
Thanks for the answers. I will try it. Nice that I do not have to wipe the internal storage to try it.
(07-02-2020, 12:24 AM)nobodyinperson Wrote: Yes, I'd also suggest just creating an SD-card with SailfishOS and putting it into the PinePhone whenever you want to play around with it. If you want to go back to your Ubuntu Touch, then shut the phone down and take the SD-card out. It's as easy as that. SailfishOS runs really well from the SD card already.

Things that don't work (so well):

- web browser(s): you will need to use/install Webcat or WebPirate, but the experience still sucks...
- modem/SIM-card: should be supported under the hood / via cli but not yet in the GUI
- sound: strange crackles after/while playing any sound. Also, the volume can't really be adjusted (?)
- automatic brightness (don't you dare switch that on, you'll regret it), same as very low manual brightness settings
- camera(s)

BUT:

- Double-tap to wake works (yay!!)
- You can install pretty much anything from OpenRepos without problems
- Thus, Depecher works very well for Telegram
- the UI feels snappy, doesn't lag and looks crisp (something I don't quite find for Ubuntu Touch)

Can you point me to a tutorial on how to use the OpenRepos? I attempted to install Librespot and after a reboot it still did not show up in my app drawer. I'm not sure if I did something wrong or I just don't know what I'm doing with the OpenRepos.
You just use the Storeman app which comes preinstalled with the SailfishOS image. I installation from there doesn't result in an app being shown in the drawer (have you scrolled to the very bottom?), then the app might be packaged wrongly. You might also head over to https://openrepos.net and dowload the RPMs from there.
Thumbs Up 
(07-05-2020, 02:06 PM)nobodyinperson Wrote: You just use the Storeman app which comes preinstalled with the SailfishOS image. I installation from there doesn't result in an app being shown in the drawer (have you scrolled to the very bottom?), then the app might be packaged wrongly. You might also head over to https://openrepos.net and dowload the RPMs from there.
I grabbed the RPM and it installed fine now. Thanks for help, and sorry for time between responses.
It seems that development pretty much stopped since May. Sad
(07-24-2020, 03:35 PM)cefre00 Wrote: It seems that development pretty much stopped since May. Sad
Yes, but this might be due to the upcoming new 3.04 Release from Jolla. There will be an updated build after the next Sailfish OS upgrade, I hope.
(08-04-2020, 03:36 AM)lispy Wrote:
(07-24-2020, 03:35 PM)cefre00 Wrote: It seems that development pretty much stopped since May. Sad
Yes, but this might be due to the upcoming new 3.04 Release from Jolla. There will be an updated build after the next Sailfish OS upgrade, I hope.

Well I hope, but according to this nothing happened in the last 2 months. Sad
https://gitlab.com/sailfishos-porters-ci...e_evil-ci/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using Windows 10 to install SailfishOS Kimberley van Buyten 1 1,223 12-05-2022, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Andidoko
  flash-it.sh script currently unable to create a SailfishOS image acrux 3 3,461 07-23-2021, 01:06 AM
Last Post: OhneZ
  Repo with flashable SailfishOS IMG files as400 24 24,239 11-05-2020, 03:18 AM
Last Post: LinAdmin2
  SailfishOS - open source collaboration meeting 19.03.2020 as400 3 4,736 06-30-2020, 09:45 AM
Last Post: patrickjquinn
  SailfishOS - Android App Support as400 15 20,856 05-28-2020, 03:29 AM
Last Post: patrickjquinn