Not booting , Black screen backlight is on
(07-01-2020, 01:24 PM)maba Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 12:43 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 10:19 AM)bigtallviking Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 05:00 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 03:32 AM)maba Wrote: Same here. Pinephone UBports Edition.
I had problems with booting from the SD from start "of out of the" box.
I succeeded once with Postmarket OS. Made no changes to EMMC. Only booting from SD.
After I tried to SD boot  with UBPorts an older version II can't boot at all.
No Jumpdrive , no factory image works from the SD.
Tried different SD cards. Power should be ok.
After the Pine Logo the screen is dark no read activity from the LED.

Woops....

Now what?

/Maba
Sounds like partition tables got corrupted. Run gparted on your SD cards and then re-install ubports on one, or the jump drive image. Insert, boot into recovery and see if it succesfully can.  If so, then run gparted on your emmc because it also is likely corrupted. Mine were. I reflashed after gparted and all works now. Running  ubports on emmc and pureOS on sdcard
Erased the SD card completely (SanDisk Ultra 32GB), ran gparted on it and then used dd to flash yesterday's release of jump drive. Popped into the phone with battery fully charged, the display is still not showing anything and only the backlight is turning on. Have a 6MB video of the boot process but not sure I can attach it here, can message or PM if needed (edit: added to the Telegram chat)
Can you try with UBPorts build 54 from this June? Do not do the clock patch, just dd the image file to the SD card and try to boot to recovery
Ahumm, if there was a forum thread named: "Hall of Lame" I will be high listed.
But here is my confession.
I haven't used a SIM-card yet because I only want to discover first. And my old eyes didn't noticed I have put the SD-card Angel in the SIM part.
My eMMC is corrupted that's for sure. But I have Mobian running from the SD.
Thanks for your help and sorry for your time....

/Maba
A common mistake I keep seeing in both forums. But you're having fun, no? That's what matters...

(07-01-2020, 01:27 PM)bigtallviking Wrote:
I succeeded once with Postmarket OS. Made no changes to EMMC. Only booting from SD.

Woops....

Now what?

/Maba
Sounds like partition tables got corrupted. Run gparted on your SD cards and then re-install ubports on one, or the jump drive image. Insert, boot into recovery and see if it succesfully can.  If so, then run gparted on your emmc because it also is likely corrupted. Mine were. I reflashed after gparted and all works now. Running  ubports on emmc and pureOS on sdcard
Erased the SD card completely (SanDisk Ultra 32GB), ran gparted on it and then used dd to flash yesterday's release of jump drive. Popped into the phone with battery fully charged, the display is still not showing anything and only the backlight is turning on. Have a 6MB video of the boot process but not sure I can attach it here, can message or PM if needed (edit: added to the Telegram chat)
Can you try with UBPorts build 54 from this June? Do not do the clock patch, just dd the image file to the SD card and try to boot to recovery
UBPorts build 54 downloaded, extracted, and flashed to 32GB SD card (erased, formatted in gparted). Same behavior on boot and recovery where the display is only backlit and no images appear. The only difference now is there is a sound when plugging in the USB-C cable that was included in the box, does not make a sound in recovery mode. I've left it sitting for awhile in case anything needs to load, no change.
Sound? From your computer or the phone? There shouldn't be any sound from your phone unless it actually booted. If you're getting one and it's not booting then you may have a short somewhere in the case. It might be worth your time to open the case, remove the screws and check for loose or crimped connections/wires, excess solder traces, anything out of the ordinary.

It could also be booting and crashing due to the clock problem, but your should see some boot activity before then. The USB cable that came with the phone is charging only if I recall. Use another cable to read data from the phone
NOT sure if we are all reporting the same problem....  but

During a "Reboot" today I had my Brave Heart,  with recent edition of Mobian running on an SD card do this :

It started to boot, then went to a black screen with the red indicator light showing.

I thought it '"may be doing an auto-update"'  it had the power cord attached so I sat it down and waited over an hour for something to change.

IT never did change,    . . .   so I did a hard shut down holding the power button for about ten seconds.

After waiting about a minute I started with a four second push on the power button and it started normally, and everything is working.

Huh
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(07-01-2020, 03:48 PM)bcnaz Wrote: NOT sure if we are all reporting the same problem....  but

During a "Reboot" today I had my Brave Heart,  with recent edition of Mobian running on an SD card do this :

It started to boot, then went to a black screen with the red indicator light showing.

I thought it '"may be doing an auto-update"'  it had the power cord attached so I sat it down and waited over an hour for something to change.

IT never did change,    . . .   so I did a hard shut down holding the power button for about ten seconds.

After waiting about a minute I started with a four second push on the power button and it started normally, and everything is working.

Huh
I think it is all the same problem - clock speed and dram causing corruption of the SD/emmc and general instability. I lowered clock speed on Mobian/pure OS and stability returned with no corruption. That trick didn't work with UBPorts though. However, when I went back to a pre-OTA build, UBPorts was stable. So is this a circuit board issue with foil traces too close or feeding back, or excess solder traces causing problems?, or something more software related that can just be solved by lowering clock speed? It's beyond my pay grade to answer, but it's happening to a lot of people.
I was running an earlier June, nightly (Mobian) build when that happened earlier today,

It seemed to go away with just a hard restart as I mentioned previously.

I put on a June 28 or 29 nightly a short time ago and did not see a problem.

I just finished downloading the the July 1 nightly and will probably try it later today.

Hopefully it  IS,   just a software problem  !

Lots of these OSes share parts of the software, so it is not surprising they can share the same Blurps when something goes wrong

NOT necessarily the hardware, just because it is the same problem
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Woops....

Now what?

/Maba

Thought I'd chime in..... Same here.  It booted, out if the box, but did act erratic when just doing initial setup....choosing language, time, etc.  It took a couple re,-boots and re-tries to get all the way through setup.  It was still erratic.. lagging, hanging, etc. 

I tried the camera, and nothing.  It hung.   rebooted and tried again, and it hung.  I powered down to check the security tip switches to see if the camera was off.  The switch was in the 'on' position, so I put the cover back on and powered up.  Tried the camera again, and it hung again, with no image.   Finally did another reboot, and it never came back.  On power-up, I get the pine64 logo, then darkbscreen with backlight on.  

That was all over a week ago.  I have been too busy with work and side projects to play with it.... Only now, got time to post the issue.

With so many having similar issues, I will wait until I see something that works.

Thanks,

Dennis
Dennis Hoshield
PBPro/ANSI/Manjaro
Same here.  I have a PinePhone UBports Edition.  I received it about a week ago.  I was having trouble getting a SIM to work with it (tried StraightTalk, MInt and TrackPhone).  It was booting fine, about 15-20 times over 3 days.  I received a new SIM today so thought I would have another go at it.  I put the new SIM in, did a 4 sec. power button, the power light went red/blue/green. then booted to the Pine 64 logo, then a black screen with back-light on and nothing else.  No power light, nothing but backlit black screen.
So, is there a consensus as to a zfix or even the source of the problem, as yet? Go back to an old version? Different OS? Etc?
Dennis Hoshield
PBPro/ANSI/Manjaro
(07-01-2020, 01:27 PM)bigtallviking Wrote:

Woops....

Now what?

/Maba
UBPorts build 54 downloaded, extracted, and flashed to 32GB SD card (erased, formatted in gparted). Same behavior on boot and recovery where the display is only backlit and no images appear. The only difference now is there is a sound when plugging in the USB-C cable that was included in the box, does not make a sound in recovery mode. I've left it sitting for awhile in case anything needs to load, no change.
Hello Big Tall Viking. I received a pinephone yesterday and I'm getting the same issue that you had. What is surprising is that I'm not even to boot the preinstalled OS that came with the phone. All I get is a black screen, no logo, but I'm able to volume up and down and hear the sound.
Can I ask if you solved the issue and how did you do it?
Thanks in advance,
Gartxot

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,672 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Boot screen stuck at 'K' because of firmware deleted. poundantisec 9 5,010 08-28-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: fxc
  locked out on PIN screen g40 1 594 06-07-2023, 10:20 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
Sad New PinePhone won't boot 9/10 times - Screen is on but stays black :( dante404 8 5,099 02-03-2023, 01:27 AM
Last Post: dante404
  My screen bottom side has loosed its tactile function arbocenc 1 755 01-06-2023, 10:02 AM
Last Post: britelite
  "PinenotePhone": Swap E-Ink Screen Onto Pinephone? britelite 0 626 01-03-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: britelite
  Screen seems ok but no display UncleMeat 3 1,488 11-03-2022, 07:02 AM
Last Post: fxc
Question Black screen no matter the OS joseph303 2 1,418 07-19-2022, 01:07 AM
Last Post: joseph303
  Boot problem: wrong screen orientation Jetpac 6 3,656 07-18-2022, 12:47 PM
Last Post: fravoi
  Manjaro phosh no screen rotation sandspur 1 1,270 06-23-2022, 01:02 AM
Last Post: rapp