UBports CE: No sound or vibration?
Woohoo!  DHL dropped off my phone a little bit ago.

Quick testing has revealed some problems.  I can't seem to get sound or vibration to work.  I tried some corded headphones but also didn't get any sound that way.  Bluetooth won't stay off.  The cameras don't seem to be working.  My nano SIM was recognized and I was able to connect to the towers but I wasn't able to make or receive phone calls or send and receive SMS.

I know this is more of a development device and a service to the community so I'm not expecting a white glove roll out or anything.  I am just looking for some reassurance that the issues I'm having are software and not hardware related and thus might be solved instead of my particular device being doomed to uselessness.

Thanks!
(06-24-2020, 12:17 PM)ajdunevent Wrote: Woohoo!  DHL dropped off my phone a little bit ago.

Quick testing has revealed some problems.  I can't seem to get sound or vibration to work.  I tried some corded headphones but also didn't get any sound that way.  Bluetooth won't stay off.  The cameras don't seem to be working.  My nano SIM was recognized and I was able to connect to the towers but I wasn't able to make or receive phone calls or send and receive SMS.

I know this is more of a development device and a service to the community so I'm not expecting a white glove roll out or anything.  I am just looking for some reassurance that the issues I'm having are software and not hardware related and thus might be solved instead of my particular device being doomed to uselessness.

Thanks!

I had similar issues with mine. For peace of mind install the postmarketos factory test image on an sd card and put that in the phone. It'll boot from the sd when you next turn it on. You can use that to make sure the hardware (speakers etc) are working. For me I had to do a factory reset of the phone (its in the settings at the bottom). That got the speakers working for me.

I've still got the Bluetooth issue I think that's just a bug that needs ironing out. It does switch off if you out the phone into flight mode.

Re the vibration. That just doesn't work yet with the UBPorts image. Again use the postmarket os image to test and make sure you haven't got a faulty/damaged device.

The cameras don't work on any os (that I've looked into anyway, I haven't actually tried anything other than UBPorts on mine yet) currently its on the list of things to do for the community. Like you say its all in development and (for me) tinkering to try and get things working is half the fun!

Can't comment on the mobile side of things as I haven't actually put a sim in yet. Hope this helps.

https://images.postmarketos.org/pinephone/

https://images.postmarketos.org/pinephon...st2.img.xz
(06-25-2020, 03:35 PM)rohtua Wrote:
(06-24-2020, 12:17 PM)ajdunevent Wrote: Woohoo!  DHL dropped off my phone a little bit ago.

Thanks!

I had similar issues with mine. For peace of mind install the postmarketos factory test image on an sd card and put that in the phone. It'll boot from the sd when you next turn it on. You can use that to make sure the hardware (speakers etc) are working. For me I had to do a factory reset of the phone (its in the settings at the bottom). That got the speakers working for me.

I've still got the Bluetooth issue I think that's just a bug that needs ironing out. It does switch off if you out the phone into flight mode.

Re the vibration. That just doesn't work yet with the UBPorts image. Again use the postmarket os image to test and make sure you haven't got a faulty/damaged device.

The cameras don't work on any os (that I've looked into anyway, I haven't actually tried anything other than UBPorts on mine yet) currently its on the list of things to do for the community. Like you say its all in development and (for me) tinkering to try and get things working is half the fun!

Can't comment on the mobile side of things as I haven't actually put a sim in yet. Hope this helps.

https://images.postmarketos.org/pinephone/

https://images.postmarketos.org/pinephon...st2.img.xz

The cameras are supported in my kernel, for now. Userspace software for cameras is lacking, atm. I've only written a test app, so that I can test the driver for the front cam, while I was writing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Vt8-npTjc

All that needs to be done by someone is to fix Cheese, or some other typical camera software to play nicely with more complicated dual camera setup on PinePhone. (Linux media api) And perhaps to report issues with the front cam driver to me.
Thanks for your help!

When I booted the phone to give it a try, sound was suddenly working! Still, I threw in a microSD with the lastest postmarketOS posh version for fun and to verify vibration was good.

I'm much less worried today than I was. I really appreciate the guidance!

(This is posted from my PinePhone over Wifi)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UBports on pine phone? robb777 16 3,419 09-01-2023, 04:26 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  No sound after Mobian upgrade arbocenc 1 693 11-28-2022, 11:02 AM
Last Post: arbocenc
  PinePhone sound issues Chief 4 2,685 07-05-2022, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Chief
  Lost password on second hand Ubports PinePhone? Peter Gamma 6 3,246 04-10-2022, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  PinePhone For Sale (UBports Edition) Joelandsonja 3 3,186 08-14-2021, 07:04 PM
Last Post: Joelandsonja
  [sold]. Pinephone UBPorts - upgraded mainboard for sale elastic 1 1,541 08-10-2021, 04:19 AM
Last Post: mouffa
  Upgraded Modem Failing To Register On UBPorts Edition DingDangDoong 9 4,263 08-02-2021, 05:26 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Pinephone UBPorts available. just cover shipping and make me the best offer stozi 3 4,084 03-20-2021, 11:35 PM
Last Post: dsimic
  Clicking/snapping sound coming from the PinePhone marcih 6 5,206 03-09-2021, 05:50 PM
Last Post: mini-DIN
  PinePhone UBports Edition Success Stories? K_Research 1 1,822 02-07-2021, 05:22 AM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity