Bravehart w/ ubports v 48 boot loop
Hi everyone,

So I have been in the possession of a braveheart edition pinephone some time now, With the recent developments now that the ubports community edition has come out, I have spent more time with it. It feels much more snappy than it did the last time I tried it and I am very impressed by all the hard work that has been done.

Recently, the devs got crust working, which promises to make my pinephone an actual usable device. For me, the extended battery life could mean that it can now become my daily driver. Yesterday I found a Reddit post saying that switching to the dev channel for OTA updates would enable me to use crust. So I did, and installed version 47. I noticed that there are multiple Development channels, but I'm sure I picked the one described in the post. Everything seemed to work fine. My battery life was not much better than it was before, though, but there were some people saying that crust was not yet enabled in version 47.

So I waited a day, and was eager to install version 48, hoping it would be the solution to my problems. I did experience even snappier UI, but the screen resolution was kind of messed up. It's a dev channel, so I know thinngs like that can be expected.

What does make me kind of sad though is that my phone will no longer boot. All it does when I insert the charging cable is give me the notification LED rainbow show like it normally does on boot and turn on the screen backlight for a second or so. Then it just shuts down and starts over.

Has anyone experienced the same problem? How do I fix it?
Hi,I have the same experience. UBtouch stable is working without (or few) crashes / reboots, but every time I switch to dev channel, my BH is almost unusable with many sudden reboots, or lately with a complete black screen. I installed version 48 which gives me an unavailable phone. I guess we need to stay on stable a bit longer?
I was thinking, it seems like the phone is not getting enough power to actually boot. It sometimes shows the pine64 logo for a short while before crashing. What kind of charger are you using? I myself am using a 12w charger.
I have just updated UBPorts on my Bravehear edition after about a week.
The battery was drained while the phone was powered off for a few dats, but it was in charge for about one or two minutes before update.
Update has finished, but I have received the same reboot loop.

I thought it has not enough power to boot up because the drained battery, so I pulled out my SDCard which has the OS and left it on charger for a while.
Then it was able to boot up.

However, it would be good to do something - so like an initial check at boot time then if the battery is low then just enable charging or wait while there is not enough charge.
...so a drained battery would not cause a boot loop...
(06-17-2020, 03:53 PM)VaZso Wrote: I have just updated UBPorts on my Bravehear edition after about a week.
The battery was drained while the phone was powered off for a few dats, but it was in charge for about one or two minutes before update.

I thought it has not enough power to boot up because the drained battery, so I pulled out my SDCard which has the OS and left it on charger for a while.

However, it would be good to do something - so like an initial check at boot time then if the battery is low then just enable charging or wait while there is not enough charge.

The charging negotiation seems to have changed recently, I used to get quite fast charges on a usb-c charger with a proper usb-c cable, now it just negotiates 0.5A charging. Using a cheap, dumb (i.e. its just a bit of cable with some plugs) usb-c cable I get a 3.5A charge rate, but when it reaches full charge, it switches to a zero charge rate, then stays there until the battery is totally discharged, so if I leave it plugged in overnight it's empty in the morning. formerly with the "real" usb-c cable it used to charge up to full power quite quickly then drop maybe 10% then recharge again, which is what I was expecting. It may just be a problem with the original cable (same behaviour is happening in Mobian) but that cable charges my PBP quite happily.

Edit: Also it doesn't now recognise a usb-c to usb-a cable on 2.4A charger. I just booted 52, ( It actually booted in response to plugging in the charger) and 10 mins later the battery screen is showing less charge than when I started(screen off the whole time), and not indicating charging. If I re-plug it while on that screen it switches to say charging.
(06-17-2020, 03:53 PM)VaZso Wrote: I have just updated UBPorts on my Bravehear edition after about a week.

The battery being completely drained was indeed what caused the problem. I have the OS flased onto the emmc, so I had to insert a bootable sd card in order to have my pinephone charge.

dd being not very verbose about errors, made me think flasing an os onto the sd card went well, which was not true. I was trying to boot from an sd card that did not actually have an image flashed onto it. Which made me believe the phone was bricked.

Anyway, it works fine now! Just went back to the stable release channel (: .

Thanks for all your help!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone UBPorts Edition stuck on PINE64 logo screen Giovanni Iannotti 4 4,831 09-01-2021, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Giovanni Iannotti
  Images won't boot past pinephone logo remington_luger 9 9,486 08-22-2021, 09:56 AM
Last Post: remington_luger
  online accounts in UBports Uturn 2 4,134 03-30-2021, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  UBPorts Not Working Pinoideae 7 9,477 03-13-2021, 01:51 PM
Last Post: KNERD
  How to enable Ethernet with UBPorts and convergence dock? piney-tim 1 2,994 11-27-2020, 07:40 PM
Last Post: piney-tim
  UBPorts Convergence MonCon 0 2,323 11-24-2020, 04:25 PM
Last Post: MonCon
  Looks like I found a mild reason why UBPorts for pinephone hasn't seen much progress. plainenough 13 17,325 11-21-2020, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Nooblife
  "No network" on new UBPorts community edition pinephone professorsnapper 6 7,780 10-19-2020, 10:27 PM
Last Post: htc_tattoo
  UBPorts doesn't boot even after booting into recovery defekto 2 4,439 09-30-2020, 12:16 PM
Last Post: defekto
  Dekko on UBPorts PinePhone usable? djvinniev77 13 15,220 09-17-2020, 03:45 PM
Last Post: yurievitch