[split] Change password from external media
For some reason, probably 'operator error' on my part, the main log-in password got changed and now I am not able to fully start my Pinebook Pro. Is there any way, outside of a full reinstall, to reset the main log-in password?
Thank you,
James Good
Hey there, I split this topic from the one you posted it in, b/c they were not related at all.

What you can do is boot a live install from an SD, and use chroot to change the user password. You can use this page as a rough guide (the partitions won't be exactly the same): http://www.microhowto.info/howto/reset_a...ution.html
(06-15-2020, 12:23 PM)tophneal Wrote: Hey there, I split this topic from the one you posted it in, b/c they were not related at all.

What you can do is boot a live install from an SD, and use chroot to change the user password. You can use this page as a rough guide (the partitions won't be exactly the same): http://www.microhowto.info/howto/reset_a...ution.html
New (?) question: how or where would I be able to find the file mentioned?  The PBP has Manjaro as the preinstalled operating system and my main computer, a desktop, has Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS.  What size of SD card might be required?
Thank you,
James Good
(06-19-2020, 10:06 AM)James Good Wrote: New (?) question: how or where would I be able to find the file mentioned?  The PBP has Manjaro as the preinstalled operating system and my main computer, a desktop, has Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS.  What size of SD card might be required?
Thank you,
James Good

I wouldn't use your Ubuntu machine for this. Boot up a live img of Manjaro, on an SD. Identify and mount the emmc root partition, and use chroot to enter the mounted partition. Then you can run 'passwd [user account name here]' in terminal to set a new password for your account. There is no file to find or change.
(06-19-2020, 10:56 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 10:06 AM)James Good Wrote: New (?) question: how or where would I be able to find the file mentioned?  The PBP has Manjaro as the preinstalled operating system and my main computer, a desktop, has Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS.  What size of SD card might be required?
Thank you,
James Good

I wouldn't use your Ubuntu machine for this. Boot up a live img of Manjaro, on an SD. Identify and mount the emmc root partition, and use chroot to enter the mounted partition. Then you can run 'passwd [user account name here]' in terminal to set a new password for your account. There is no file to find or change.
Only problem with what you suggest; my desktop computer CAN boot and access the Internet, the PBP does NOT fully boot so I am not able to access anything either on the local computer or on the Internet.  What I had suggested was something thai I would be able to do now.  And not having, or knowing where to find, a live img of Manjaro, I am limited to using what is available.
Thank you,
James Good
I’m on mobile so it’s hard to link but you can download Manjaro images from their site. We also have a wiki page dedicated to OS imgs for the PBP. Most have also been linked in the Linux on PBP sub forum.

Your Ubuntu machine should only be needed to download and write a bootable image to your SD.

Otherwise you need to remove the emmc, Mount it in Ubuntu with the USB to emmc adapter, then install the necessary dependencies to chroot into the aarch64 OS on your emmc.

Pick your favorite search engine and search for pinebook pro wiki (or look in the Linux on PBP forum), find and download a live OS image, and when you boot into it you won’t need to do anything other than mount, chroot in, and change the password.
(06-19-2020, 04:31 PM)tophneal Wrote: I’m on mobile so it’s hard to link but you can download Manjaro images from their site. We also have a wiki page dedicated to OS imgs for the PBP. Most have also been linked in the Linux on PBP sub forum.

Your Ubuntu machine should only be needed to download and write a bootable image to your SD.

Otherwise you need to remove the emmc, Mount it in Ubuntu with the USB to emmc adapter, then install the necessary dependencies to chroot into the aarch64 OS on your emmc.

Pick your favorite search engine and search for pinebook pro wiki (or look in the Linux on PBP forum), find and download a live OS image, and when you boot into it you won’t need to do anything other than mount, chroot in, and change the password.
Thank you.  I'll try this later this afternoon.
James Good
Is it not easier to edit /etc/shadow? All as root (or sudo), Make a backup
Often, 1st line is
root:lots-of-random-letters: more fields::: ...........
delete everything between 1st and 2nd colon ": " ,, and then, no password
(so it appears as root::18281:0:99999:7::: OR root::18234:::::: OR root::17525:0:99999:7::: ,,,,
the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th field will vary depending on distro,, the password hash is in 1st field,
between 1st and 2nd colon)
Perhaps only a minor update to the original question I posted earlier. Reason for the delay in this posting, there was a problem on my desktop computer that had prevented me from entering or using ANY sudo commands. The OS on the desktop is Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS. I followed some suggestions from a user forum for Ubuntu and, basically, reinstalled the OS from a DVD. Once at a menu for setup options, I was able to reset the owner's (my) password and the root password. I also had found another user listed on the computer with a deleted account. I had been unable to delete that user until after resetting my own password. Once that had been completed, I managed to burn a copy of the Manjaro ISO that was downloaded earlier onto a micro USB. With that in the PBP I am now able to at least get to the desktop and into some of the settings. I have not been able to connect to the Internet even though the PBP would use the same WiFi router as my desktop computer.
The questions that remain: At present, the only way I am able to even get to the desktop is with the USB card in the PBP reader at boot. I would prefer to be able to power the laptop on and use it without needing the USB card in the reader. The other question or problem is the WiFi Internet connection. What might I be doing wrong? Thank you for all the help and encouragement this forum has been.
James Good
>onto a micro USB,,, surely you mean micro SD? (uSD)
Is there still a bootable distro on the emmc? If so, edit password file, /mount-point/etc/shadow (ON EMMC)
You can edit a user password too, if needed
As to wifi, check with ifconfig OR ip a (all this as root or sudo)
because of systemd, the normal command may not work, refuses (wifi) password
nmcli dev wifi con <ap name> -a (-a=--ask)
What I had to do (in vt - virtual terminal)
nmcli con up <ap name> -a
If unsure of name,,, nmcli dev wifi list

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oem password iwm 8 2,247 02-19-2023, 07:35 PM
Last Post: iwm
  Issues with External Display After Recent Update reundo 0 1,337 11-18-2021, 06:37 PM
Last Post: reundo
  External Monitor resolution (would like 3840x2160) Phillip Bell 3 2,113 11-17-2021, 10:02 AM
Last Post: Phillip Bell
  My pbp is a sleek, black, flat brick, and won't boot from any kind of media rotwang 15 13,457 08-24-2021, 04:25 PM
Last Post: bkenn
  Graphical login hanging after password entry mhill8 2 3,275 03-29-2021, 08:32 AM
Last Post: jacksonliam341
  External DVD/CD MIchael 22 21,605 03-07-2021, 03:49 PM
Last Post: ab1jx
  External Monitor Recommendations SteveSquatch 1 1,747 02-17-2021, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Arwen
  Forgot my Pinebook password. Booting from MIcroSD doesn't work. ksfoodforest 0 1,713 01-30-2021, 11:08 AM
Last Post: ksfoodforest
  [split] U-Boot with NVMe support, keyboard & display working as400 83 80,816 01-27-2021, 12:48 AM
Last Post: as400
  MAC address change user0258 2 3,414 09-16-2020, 01:12 PM
Last Post: user0258