USB-C CC pins are pulled to the GND by AW3512 (VCONN switches) when VCONN is off
https://xnux.eu/devices/pine64-pinephone...-pinephone: "It's not fixable in SW, other than via a manual selection of power and data roles by the user." So we can use software to manually switch from charging to OTG, right?
(06-18-2020, 01:04 AM)fsflover Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 10:50 PM)Subsentient Wrote: Well f*ck. So the mod is mandatory if you intend to use USB OTG. That's depressing. I'll stay happy enough with my BraveHeart since I finished the mod, but it's sad that it's necessary. I suppose something like this was bound to happen with the first ever open source phone made of mostly regular phone parts. I'm not going to bother with the smaller power drain bug. My phone is never off anyway, and if I need to store it for extended periods I can just stick some plastic wrap around the battery contacts or something, not worth damaging the board for such a small bug.

It seems you still can use OTG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBeza4UNOm8. Or is this something else?
That's a PinePhone with a HW fix in the video.

(06-18-2020, 05:39 AM)heng Wrote: https://xnux.eu/devices/pine64-pinephone...-pinephone: "It's not fixable in SW, other than via a manual selection of power and data roles by the user." So we can use software to manually switch from charging to OTG, right?
Locally, yes. The other side of the cable will have no way of knowing, aside from seeing vbus power up.

It may or may not work with simple devices like usb-c hubs, but it's risky with usb-c docks with PD inputs, power/data role switching, which is all signalled over CC pins.
Unfortunately, I was unaware of this hardware issue that will prevent me from plugging my Ubuntu Touch phone in a dock and using it as mobile linux pc?

Problem for me is, that was one of the main reasons for my purchase of Ubuntu Touch community edition and I already received shipping notification (Ascendia Shipping, living in Switzerland). I did not expect this feature to be working when I receive my unit but that it will be worked out eventually. That is why I would like to sell the phone immediately upon arrival. Do you guys have any hint what the best approach would be to sell the phone? If someone is interested you can also DM me.
(06-28-2020, 12:55 AM)StephanM Wrote: Unfortunately, I was unaware of this hardware issue that will prevent me from plugging my Ubuntu Touch phone in a dock and using it as mobile linux pc?

Problem for me is, that was one of the main reasons for my purchase of Ubuntu Touch community edition and I already received shipping notification (Ascendia Shipping, living in Switzerland). I did not expect this feature to be working when I receive my unit but that it will be worked out eventually. That is why I would like to sell the phone immediately upon arrival. Do you guys have any hint what the best approach would be to sell the phone? If someone is interested you can also DM me.

I'm sorry to hear that. It is, however, fixable relatively easily. So, you'll have to decide whether you want to go through the evening of removing the two switches from the board, but it's not a tedious process. I completed it with tweezers and my 15 year old soldering iron with the fused-on tip. I'm using my PinePhone with this fix, I can confirm it works, and after that, OTG works great.

You could probably get buyers on r/PINE64official. You'd then know that the phone went to someone who would also use it for Linux/etc.
And what is SW solution to switch USB-C to OTG?
Directory /sys/class/usb_role/ is empty.
# echo 0 > /sys/class/power_supply/axp20x-usb/online -- stopped charging but PP still doesn't see any peripherals (exclude PC).
dmesg shows
Code:
[  31.708648] dc1sw: disabling
[  31.708760] usb0-vbus: disabling
[  31.708768] vcc5v0: disabling
[  31.708774] vconn5v0: disabling
Did I miss something? Any suggestions?
(06-28-2020, 02:57 AM)Subsentient Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 12:55 AM)StephanM Wrote: Unfortunately, I was unaware of this hardware issue that will prevent me from plugging my Ubuntu Touch phone in a dock and using it as mobile linux pc?

I'm sorry to hear that. It is, however, fixable relatively easily. So, you'll have to decide whether you want to go through the evening of removing the two switches from the board, but it's not a tedious process. I completed it with tweezers and my 15 year old soldering iron with the fused-on tip. I'm using my PinePhone with this fix, I can confirm it works, and after that, OTG works great.

You could probably get buyers on r/PINE64official. You'd then know that the phone went to someone who would also use it for Linux/etc.

Unfortunately, I have no idea about hardware at all, besides, I lack the equipment and there is nobody in my circle of acquaintances whom I would like to ask about this matter... I will inform myself about various instructions on the internet and if I have a good feeling I will unpack the phone and try to fix it, otherwise I will sell it on reddit Smile Thanks a lot in any case for your assessment.
My apologies if already answered, but:

1) Is the hardware fix applicable to BH phones?
2) If yes, what are the necessary steps to enable OTG on the software side? After removing the regulators I tried bott the nightly Mobian and PMOS ANX image and only get stuff along the lines of "anx7688 0-0028: read failed (-6)".
(07-16-2020, 05:14 AM)oaklarch Wrote: My apologies if already answered, but:

1) Is the hardware fix applicable to BH phones?
2) If yes, what are the necessary steps to enable OTG on the software side?  After removing the regulators I tried bott the nightly Mobian and PMOS ANX image and only get stuff along the lines of "anx7688 0-0028: read failed (-6)".

1) Yes. They even promised to setup repair shops for both CE and BH owners.

"When we sold Braveheart PinePhones we made a promise to the early adopters that we won’t leave them behind, so I’d like to extend the offer for fixing the CC pin issue to all Braveheart owners too." https://www.pine64.org/2020/07/15/july-u...e-version/

2) It probably is impossible. The other end will still not know about the issue.
Quote:2) It probably is impossible. The other end will still not know about the issue.

Thanks.

I meant I've already desoldered the regulators but still can't get OTG to work. I'll try with megous' patched 5.8 kernel once more but if that fails I'll have to wait for the motherboard replacements.
OTG is a log of different devices and not all of them work yet.
I you have devices that require extra power from the phone,
New switches will have to be installed.

I removed the switches on my BH - and an USB mem stick
Now works fine with Megis kernel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pine64 keyboard pogo 'no-go' pins --- 3 2,472 04-29-2022, 04:59 AM
Last Post: Humid Stylus
  PP v1.2 VCONN question m4xx3d0ut 0 808 03-18-2022, 12:26 PM
Last Post: m4xx3d0ut
  what are these pins above modem chip? zetabeta 1 1,588 12-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
  Pogo pins power clarification - reading schematics bokomaru 48 42,315 06-19-2021, 10:46 AM
Last Post: bokomaru
  Is the PinePhone only Pine-device with hardware switches? harrm 1 2,195 01-23-2021, 12:29 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Where are the HW kill switches located? WaldoTheRanger 11 14,352 10-04-2020, 02:23 AM
Last Post: WaldoTheRanger
  Only enable modem when needed with kill switches sokolgeo 2 4,054 09-20-2020, 04:40 AM
Last Post: sokolgeo
  hardware switch wishlist/discussion - switches on the outside? mypine 7 7,368 04-12-2020, 10:40 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Kill switches blicken 2 3,806 02-08-2020, 03:51 PM
Last Post: wibble
  PInephone extra pins hnaguski 2 4,561 11-02-2019, 06:01 PM
Last Post: hnaguski