Cannot Activate Developer Mode
Hi,
      I have the UBPorts Community Edition and attempted to activate the Developer Mode, but the option does not seem to exist.

I have a BQ Aquaris with UBPorts and the options is under 'System Settings - About - Developer Mode'. However, this is not the case on the Pinephone.

Will this feature be added at a later date?
(06-14-2020, 11:18 AM)KeithMcN Wrote: Hi,
      I have the UBPorts Community Edition and attempted to activate the Developer Mode, but the option does not seem to exist.

I have a BQ Aquaris with UBPorts and the options is under 'System Settings - About - Developer Mode'. However, this is not the case on the Pinephone.

Hi,

Same problem here. Developer Mode is missing. adb says (self-evident): no devices found.

Any solutions?
Best,
Mat
(06-23-2020, 04:06 AM)pphone-newbie Wrote:

Hi,

Same problem here. Developer Mode is missing. adb says (self-evident): no devices found.

Any solutions?
Best,
Mat

What exactly do you want to do in Developer Mode? You already have access to pretty much the whole system. I saw there is an issue on gitlab requesting a graphical solution for enabling ssh: https://gitlab.com/ubports/community-por...issues/104
(06-23-2020, 05:52 AM)Momomentum Wrote:

Hi,

Any solutions?
Best,
Mat

What exactly do you want to do in Developer Mode? You already have access to pretty much the whole system. I saw there is an issue on gitlab requesting a graphical solution for enabling ssh: https://gitlab.com/ubports/community-ports/pinephone/-/issues/104

Hi Momentum,

just transfer files (more precisely the wifi-connection-setup). However, I found a solution[url=https://forum.pine64.org/member.php?action=profile&uid=18063][/url] in another tread: Booting in recovery mode grants (limited) access to the file system. With this workaround I was able to tranfer the file. Now wifi is up and running and in future I can use ssh/sftp Cool

Thanks and best
Mat
developer mode is only for UBPorts devices that are built on top of Android. Pinephone is a pure Linux phone.

in order to be in "developer mode" you remount the filesystem as read/write.

basically, take the instructions on the UBPorts forums with a grain of salt, as they apply to a wide variety of devices, many of them Android based.
(06-23-2020, 05:52 AM)Momomentum Wrote:

Hi,

Any solutions?
Best,
Mat

What exactly do you want to do in Developer Mode? You already have access to pretty much the whole system. I saw there is an issue on gitlab requesting a graphical solution for enabling ssh: https://gitlab.com/ubports/community-ports/pinephone/-/issues/104

On my BQ Aquaris phone, which also has UBPorts, I transfer files between my phone and laptop via the USB cable (which is a very simple using drag-and-drop in Dolphin). I also connect from the laptop to the phone via the Terminal, for development reasons.

To do this, I have to first enable Developer Mode, which is in UBPorts on that phone in the section 'Settings - About'.

I naturally assumed it would be in the same location and enable the same functionality on the Pinephone but, for whatever reason, it's not visible/present.
it's not visible or present because of the reason I said above. there's no lockdown on the Pinephone, being a pure Linux phone, beyond regular Linux permissions. in order to access files that are owned by root, you use sudo. if a drive is mounted as read-only, you remount it as read/write. Developer mode only makes sense for devices built on top of Android.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any luck with convergence/desktop mode on 1.2a devices? sintrastes 2 3,666 12-16-2020, 10:04 PM
Last Post: cyberbillp
  File transfer mode no longer working? Zweitaktmotor 0 2,040 08-15-2020, 07:31 AM
Last Post: Zweitaktmotor