On/Off Switch Pad Working Bad
Thanks xalius for your answer,

but now I don't know why the button is working. I have try another image (dietpi )
And another thing I have done is to power on the board with no sd card, then I kept pressed the power button to shutdown the system.

And from then the button is working . I mean that if I press it the board power on and keep to be on.(no shutdown after few seconds )

The only thing I've notice is that I have to keep the button pressed for more than one second.

Now I'm installing the dietpi image so I can't power the system off , but after I will try again with the ubuntu image I have used at the beginning.

I wish everybody a great day.

Regards

Filippo
Interesting. Well, I'm not screwing around with it any longer till the buttons actually get here.

Big Grin
Hello to everybody.!

I think I will follow MarkHaysHarris777 suggestion....to not screwing around with it because power button it is now acting as before....

If I press power button the board powers up...but after few seconds it off.

So.....I will disconnect and reconnect the power cable to properly power the board.

By the way...I wish a great day to everybody ! Smile

Best regards

Filippo
Once the CPU has been shutdown, the power switch can only be start the boot sequence when there is a battery attached. If there is no battery, the power will be turned off. Just odd!
David Hardingham
Yes, the PMIC detects whether the battery is plugged in, and if not then it powers down. Well, also the battery has to have a good charge to boot... weak battery means the PMIC will shutdown the system when the power button is pressed.

I don't have my battery yet, so cannot test. The power button does send keycode 116 to the kernel to prompt a power down with gnu+linux; works well-- also tested with Droid.
(06-27-2016, 11:11 AM)dhardingham Wrote: Once the CPU has been shutdown, the power switch can only be start the boot sequence when there is a battery attached. If there is no battery, the power will be turned off. Just odd!

This is exactly the same behaviour I have noticed - the power button requires a battery to be connected - I suspect a symptom of the fact that at heart the pine64 is the guts of a tablet computer... and they don't power up well without batteries! 

And as Mark pointed out, the power button sends keycode 116 to the kernel, so you can use that to trigger a power down with gnu+linux or re-purpose it for your own nefarious use! ;D 

This makes it (in my experience anyway):
  • power button - user programmable function once system running, powers up system IF a battery is connected
  • system led - user programmable / controllable
  • charge led - not functioning as APX registers aren't set correctly to use it
  • reset button - leave this one alone unless you want a corrupt file system Big Grin
And the battery isn't being charged!
David Hardingham
I've had "as expected" behavior, running an android image, or a debian image, either shorting the pads (before I got switches) or after. Power on, and power off. Obviously, linux behavior and response is not the same as android.

There is no reason I can see that the switch has to be installed to work as opposed to just putting a jumper across the pads. There's nothing magical being done here that suggest a mechanical switch is required.
(06-28-2016, 09:24 AM)dhardingham Wrote: And the battery isn't being charged!

Indeed, I forgot to mention that. When you use a battery that doesn't have a three wire connection (the middle wire being for the batteries on-board thermistor/temperature sensor), you need to connect that to ground via a 10k resistor, which makes the APX chip think the battery is not too hot to charge Wink
(06-28-2016, 01:11 PM)DonFL Wrote: I've had "as expected" behavior, running an android image, or a debian image, either shorting the pads (before I got switches) or after. Power on, and power off. Obviously, linux behavior and response is not the same as android.

There is no reason I can see that the switch has to be installed to work as opposed to just putting a jumper across the pads. There's nothing magical being done here that suggest a mechanical switch is required.

Can you provide a picture or diagram of how I would jumper the power pads without a switch?  Thanks.  Rick

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Working linux distribution that supports BT/Wifi on A64 Roverius 3 4,713 08-19-2019, 04:47 AM
Last Post: Roverius
  assistantpine, a working idea for a distro tohipfortheroom 1 3,312 01-22-2017, 02:56 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Support registration seems not to be working winterflaw 2 3,601 11-04-2016, 02:08 PM
Last Post: winterflaw
  UAE4Droid Amiga emulator not working Middleman 1 3,068 07-25-2016, 04:18 AM
Last Post: CaptainZalo
  Bluetooth not working reesh95 0 1,624 04-28-2016, 01:29 AM
Last Post: reesh95