Double tap
I have a new PineBook Pro, and while very satisfied overall, I find that I cannot get the two finger tap to generate a right click.

Is it possible I have a bad trackpad or is this a common problem for the PBP?  I'd gladly purchase a replacement part if others can confirm that their units reliably generate a right click.
(06-12-2020, 05:44 AM)nbxmike Wrote: I have a new PineBook Pro, and while very satisfied overall, I find that I cannot get the two finger tap to generate a right click.

Is it possible I have a bad trackpad or is this a common problem for the PBP?  I'd gladly purchase a replacement part if others can confirm that their units reliably generate a right click.

Plenty of people have issues with this. Often times it comes down to the DE used. I've had the problem with KDE, myself, but not with Gnome. It could also be drivers. People have been reporting positive results after installing synaptic.
(06-12-2020, 06:46 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(06-12-2020, 05:44 AM)nbxmike Wrote: I have a new PineBook Pro, and while very satisfied overall, I find that I cannot get the two finger tap to generate a right click.

Plenty of people have issues with this. Often times it comes down to the DE used. I've had the problem with KDE, myself, but not with Gnome. It could also be drivers. People have been reporting positive results after installing synaptic.

Yep, it's pretty common. The tocuhpad support is really lacking, unfortunately, but not because of the hardware. It's a surprisingly good touchpad, Linux just doesn't handle it well, or practically any sophisticated touchpad for that matter.

In Manjaro KDE you can go to System Settings and play with the Touchpad settings until you can get good results. For example, my settings are:

Taps tab:
Maximum Time: 210ms
Maximum Finger Movement: 2.5mm
Maximum time for double tap: 250ms
Single tap timeout: 330ms

Scrolling tab:
Vertical scroll distance: 1.0mm
Coasting is disabled (doesn't work well at all for me)

Pointer motion tab:
Minimum at 0%
Maximum at 100%
Acceleration is about 33%
Noise cancellation: 1 unit

You may have to set these several times since KDE doesn't do a good job of actually committing the settings to disk, or winds up tricking the settings panel into thinking they are set when they actually are not. These settings still suck, but again, it's not really the hardware's fault. I found a better acceleration magic number (IIRC, 0.9875) but you can't enter that in manually on that page. Resolution needs to be tweaked as well, but that's a bit more advanced and doesn't fit well with the current drivers anyway. (Tracing a circle with your finger makes a flattened ellipse)
(07-30-2020, 05:12 PM)forthwith Wrote: Yep, it's pretty common. The tocuhpad support is really lacking, unfortunately, but not because of the hardware. It's a surprisingly good touchpad, Linux just doesn't handle it well, or practically any sophisticated touchpad for that matter.

I beg to differ - when I had Ubuntu 18.04 running on my 15" late 2015 MBP at work the only tweak I had to do for the touchpad is enable tap to click and triple finger tap for middle click, and the way it felt was not really any different from when I was running macOS on it with similar settings. So as much as I generally hate Apple hardware, I'll have to give them credit where it's due - their touchpad hardware is superb, and worked beautifully out of the box. In contrast PBP touchpad, while usable, could be much better (though I assume not at the current price).
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons

I was also experiencing this behavior in the default Manjaro+KDE that ships with the new PBPs. I was able to get it to work by disabling the "Tap and Drag Gesture" option in Input Devices -> Touchpad Settings. Much better now. Smile

Hope this helps.
May I ask, why not just use the right click button? I find it awkward, but it just works.