SIM card not detected
Long time listener, first time caller here.........

So I got a SIM for my PP Ub Ports edition. I plopped it into my phone and it still says "SIM not detected" in the Cellular settings menu. Being that this is my first Linux smart phone (though I'm not new to Linux. My daily driver laptop runs Fedora) I'm stumped. I've tried searching the forums, and using the Google machine, but all of the solutions (ex: this topic) did not seem to do anything to get my SIM to recognize.

Things I know....
  • It's a brand new SIM from a prepaid company in the US.
  • As far as I know the SIM does NOT have a PIN on it.
  • They give you SIMs for both AT&T and VZ and BOTH have the same issue....the "Cellular" option shows up on the settings, but when you go in there to get the IMEI to register the SIM, it shows up as "No Sim"
Anyway....................HALP! I'd love to test some of the phone capabilities of the phone. So far I'm fairly impressed for what is essentially development hardware and alpha software. It seems to be WAY better and more polished now than the many year...oh wait...months ago that I played with a Brave Heart phone at a friend's place in the pre-pandemic days of winter.
She knows just enough about Linux to be dangerous.
Me ~ Tw: @chernowa
I am no expert, but,
    I just pulled the sim card out of my BLU/Google phone and plugged it into my Pine phone Brave Heart Edition,  and it just  "worked"

Perhaps you could check that it is installed with the contacts away from you  ?    Is it seated all the way into the sim socket ?
  or it could possibly be a defective sim card,  was it operating in another phone ?

I have since purchased a new AT&T sim card on Ebay for $2 USD with free shipping.

Good Luck  B.C.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(06-11-2020, 10:52 PM)bcnaz Wrote: I am no expert, but,
    I just pulled the sim card out of my BLU/Google phone and plugged it into my Pine phone Brave Heart Edition,  and it just  "worked"

Perhaps you could check that it is installed with the contacts away from you  ?    Is it seated all the way into the sim socket ?
  or it could possibly be a defective sim card,  was it operating in another phone ?

I have since purchased a new AT&T sim card on Ebay for $2 USD with free shipping.

Thanks BC.

Contacts away from me? It looks like it can only go into the slot one way, with the contacts facing down (towards the screen if looking at the back of the phone.) And this is a brand new SIM from Straight Talk never used in any other phones. I guess I could pull the TMo SIM out of my iPhone and see if the new SIM works in there. (Recently paid off so I believe it’s unlocked now.)

And the way you’re describing things makes sense and what I was actually expecting to happen.

I’m beginning to wonder if my OS install from the factory may have been corrupt. I ran out of time yesterday (I work odd hours lol) so I haven’t tried flashing a fresh copy of UBPorts to a SD card yet. That might be a project for my “weekend”.
Did you try the right slot? Some people put their sim card in the sdcard slot.

That being said, I had problems with my carrier. I would loose signal every ten seconds or so. Tried a different carrier and sim card and all worked.
(06-12-2020, 09:23 AM)Momomentum Wrote: Did you try the right slot? Some people put their sim card in the sdcard slot.

That being said, I had problems with my carrier. I would loose signal every ten seconds or so. Tried a different carrier and sim card and all worked.

Bottom slot yes?

And now it's working........oy vey. Well sort of...I need to find the provider info for Straight Talk.
(06-12-2020, 02:39 PM)AddieDirects Wrote:
(06-12-2020, 09:23 AM)Momomentum Wrote: Did you try the right slot? Some people put their sim card in the sdcard slot.

Bottom slot yes?

And now it's working........oy vey. Well sort of...I need to find the provider info for Straight Talk.

Bottom slot is right. I am glad you are making progress. I was in the same boat and now am super happy that network and sim seems to work. I dont know yet why my other sim card didnt work but for the moment I am happy to use a second sim to try out new stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  file manager vs. SD card laserpyramid 6 5,667 10-18-2021, 03:10 AM
Last Post: acrux
  Copy To SD Card, All I get Is Red Light & Black Screen . . . . NobodyNew1 9 11,215 09-13-2020, 08:59 PM
Last Post: NobodyNew1
  Automount SD card MasterGreenbolt 7 10,609 08-16-2020, 05:40 AM
Last Post: FOSSagent0
  Is bluetooth lag for A/V playback due to SD card? Cree 1 2,732 08-02-2020, 06:30 PM
Last Post: hiimtye
  Booting from SD card bingo600 1 2,721 06-20-2020, 02:33 AM
Last Post: bingo600
  accessing sd card from terminal / file manager pepo 2 3,826 03-17-2020, 07:24 AM
Last Post: pepo