Software options for thermal throttling?
Are there any daemons, kernel tweaks, ... available to have more aggressive thermal throttling on the PinePhone? It does get very hot if running demanding tasks, and I don't like it both for my hands as well as the possible impact on battery lifetime. However, making sure to limit all tasks one by one is lots of work, it'd be nicer if the whole system just throttled earlier when temperature crosses a certain threshold over a certain amount of time.

Does somebody happen to know if some throttling tweaks like that are available in the kernel or in some power management daemon that can be tweaked for use on the PinePhone? Or would any of you know a good place to request this for consideration?
Away
(06-09-2020, 09:59 PM)e1337 Wrote: Are there any daemons, kernel tweaks, ... available to have more aggressive thermal throttling on the PinePhone? It does get very hot if running demanding tasks, and I don't like it both for my hands as well as the possible impact on battery lifetime. However, making sure to limit all tasks one by one is lots of work, it'd be nicer if the whole system just throttled earlier when temperature crosses a certain threshold over a certain amount of time.

Does somebody happen to know if some throttling tweaks like that are available in the kernel or in some power management daemon that can be tweaked for use on the PinePhone? Or would any of you know a good place to request this for consideration?

I don't own a PinePhone but I assume the kernel includes the thermal subsystem.

This would reduce the cpu frequencies to make sure the CPU temperature does not cross 55C. That works on my Pinebook Pro

Code:
# echo 55000 > /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/trip_point_0_temp

You can check the current temperature

Code:
$ cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

Here you can check what each termal_zoneX represents and throttle other blocks as well

Code:
$  cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone?/type
cpu
gpu
That sounds super promising! Sadly, there seems to be some issue with the sensors:

Code:
$ sudo cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
cat: read error: Invalid argument
$ sudo cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone1/temp
$ sudo cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone2/temp
Is this maybe why the device runs so hot? Is this normal...?
Away
(06-10-2020, 12:27 AM)e1337 Wrote: That sounds super promising! Sadly, there seems to be some issue with the sensors:

Code:
$ sudo cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
$ sudo cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone1/temp
$ sudo cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone2/temp
Is this maybe why the device runs so hot? Is this normal...?

I don't have a PinePhone and can't help you further. You are on your own. What I would do:

1. learn your thermal settings

$ zgrep -i thermal /proc/config.gz

2. understand what these settings mean (and look for interesting settings not in your kernel)

https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/...al/Kconfig

3. understand the thermal driver's sysfs api (I don't understand why this file vanished from recent kernels) and see how to throttle

https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.2.21...fs-api.txt
(06-10-2020, 01:08 AM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote: I don't have a PinePhone and can't help you further. You are on your own.

I wasn't necessarily asking you since I think devs frequent here, so I would assume someone might know: If anyone knows why the temperature sensor doesn't want to work, feel free to jump into the conversation Wink
Away
(06-10-2020, 06:22 AM)e1337 Wrote:
(06-10-2020, 01:08 AM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote: I don't have a PinePhone and can't help you further. You are on your own.

I wasn't necessarily asking you since I think devs frequent here, so I would assume someone might know: If anyone knows why the temperature sensor doesn't want to work, feel free to jump into the conversation Wink

A little bird told me it is supported standard (/fixed) in 5.7 kernel. So I am anxiously awaiting a new release with a 5.7 kernel Big Grin
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Repository" for Safe Software/Apps? MarsColonist 2 1,487 05-12-2022, 06:29 PM
Last Post: MarsColonist
  Favorite software? Scary Guy 0 936 02-16-2022, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Other Payment options? & I'll buy used PinePhone 3/32 any distro 503d 6 5,304 12-30-2021, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Humusk1
  unable to install any software pine-user1 2 1,441 11-09-2021, 01:07 AM
Last Post: ryo
  software jesica 3 2,935 10-30-2021, 08:27 AM
Last Post: beta-user
  jumpdrive software might be faulty (or my pinephone hardware) zetabeta 3 3,195 07-20-2021, 03:14 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Hardwired software or functionality imposed by companies or authorities MirceaKitsune 16 12,766 06-13-2021, 05:18 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Latest PinePhone CE Manjaro - Charging issues: hardware or software? kern707 5 4,682 11-20-2020, 12:09 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Software back to basics Zweitaktmotor 4 6,483 12-13-2019, 03:57 PM
Last Post: bcnaz