What's the ceramic cubic part?
The cluster board was delivered with two ceramic parts, 15W10ohmJ. What's the purpose of those? There's a slot at the top of the board for one, but, no manual with installation instructions. Must I sold it on, or is it enough to just "fit it"? Or are they not needed at all? Information wanted. ^^
(06-06-2020, 03:56 PM)ollehar Wrote: The cluster board was delivered with two ceramic parts, 15W10ohmJ. What's the purpose of those? There's a slot at the top of the board for one, but, no manual with installation instructions. Must I sold it on, or is it enough to just "fit it"? Or are they not needed at all? Information wanted. ^^

They are load resistors. You fit them to that space up to the top of the board if you are using an ATX power supply and it needs a load on the 3v3 and/or12v rails to keep it from turning off. I would not recommend just poking them in... solder them in!

https://imgur.com/gallery/u9dDsXS
(06-06-2020, 04:48 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(06-06-2020, 03:56 PM)ollehar Wrote: The cluster board was delivered with two ceramic parts, 15W10ohmJ. What's the purpose of those? There's a slot at the top of the board for one, but, no manual with installation instructions. Must I sold it on, or is it enough to just "fit it"? Or are they not needed at all? Information wanted. ^^

They are load resistors. You fit them to that space up to the top of the board if you are using an ATX power supply and it needs a load on the 3v3 and/or12v rails to keep it from turning off. I would not recommend just poking them in... solder them in!

https://imgur.com/gallery/u9dDsXS

Hm, OK. I'm using the power adapter from the pine64 store, so I guess it's not needed, then?
(06-07-2020, 01:12 AM)ollehar Wrote: Hm, OK. I'm using the power adapter from the pine64 store, so I guess it's not needed, then?

Nope. The load resistors are only needed with *some* ATX power supplies as they require a load for them to regulate properly. If you're using a DC power supply via the screw terminals, etc, then there is no need or even point fitting them. Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kubernetes on SoPine cluster part.1 maya.b 3 7,732 04-18-2018, 08:31 AM
Last Post: PigLover