New PBP - WiFi not working!
Hello Pine Community

I just got my PBP delivered yesterday, everything went fine from booting and latest updates from pacman. This morning when I turned on the laptop it won't connect to WiFi. I tried deleting the WiFi connection and adding it again but no luck. It keeps asking for password authentication. I even tried using the privacy switch to disable and re enable it with a restart, but no luck it won't connect my WiFi. Tried connecting through the phone hotspot and it connects perfectly fine. Please help.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Extremely similar to your experience!!!
I received my PBP yesterday. Connected to my 5Ghz WiFi without any issue after booting. Then I updated latest updates from pacman. This morning, when I turned on the laptop, it won't connect to WiFi. I deleted the 5Ghz WiFi network. My 5Ghz would not appear in the available network. My 2.4Ghz WiFi shows up and I was able to connect to that.
My assumption is that pacman update was the issue, but have not found a solution to this.
I also had issues with wifi after updating packages. What solved it for me was reinstalling Manjaro 20.04 and ignoring updates for the ap6256-firmware package to make sure I stay on ap6256-firmware version 2020.01.

You could also try to downgrade this package, there's a link for version 2020.01 here (wish I saw this post before reinstalling os!): https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...9#pid67119
(06-05-2020, 03:31 PM)Jazzband Wrote: I also had issues with wifi after updating packages. What solved it for me was reinstalling Manjaro 20.04 and ignoring updates for the ap6256-firmware package to make sure I stay on ap6256-firmware version 2020.01.

You could also try to downgrade this package, there's a link for version 2020.01 here (wish I saw this post before reinstalling os!): https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...9#pid67119

Thanks Jazzband, I confirm that after downgrading the firmware package and performing a reboot, 5Ghz network started to show again and I was able to connect to it successfully.
Pacman was able to open the .tar.xz file directly in the download , no need to use commands in terminal.
The network adapter firmware is now shown as available for update in Pacman, I just simply ignores it.

(06-05-2020, 12:18 PM)ashwinpatel Wrote: Hello Pine Community

I just got my PBP delivered yesterday, everything went fine from booting and latest updates from pacman. This morning when I turned on the laptop it won't connect to WiFi. I tried deleting the WiFi connection and adding it again but no luck. It keeps asking for password authentication. I even tried using the privacy switch to disable and re enable it with a restart, but no luck it won't connect my WiFi. Tried connecting through the phone hotspot and it connects perfectly fine. Please help.

Hi Ashwinpatel, please follow Jazzband's suggestion to downgrade the network/NIC's firmware, using your cellphone hotspot to download. It helped me to fix my network issue.
Thank you guys for helping out. I will try this out and post my feedback. Appreciate it!

Hey Pine community,

Haven't received my PBP yet, but eagerly waiting.
Is the consensus to NOT update the ap6256-firmware package, and keep it at version 2020.01?
If that is the case, would be helpful to let others know and avoid the hassle of having to downgrade! (at least until an update is released).
Many thanks to those who have gone through the work of troubleshooting.
Thanks for this! I was blaming my router, but the firmware downgrade has me rocking 5GHz WiFi again!
I received my PBP today and am quite impressed except I cannot connect to any wifi connections.
I click on for wifi and the wifi network field is empty. Note I did not update initially.
Then I updated and still no wifi. I use a wifi dongle for wifi on the PBP. Is the wifi range really poor?
@Gijigadget The Wifi privacy switch is turned on by default on some PBP's that shipped (including mine). While the machine is powered on, try holding the keyboard combination META+F11 *for 3 seconds* (this 3 seconds is key, and only tapping META+F11 instead of holding it because I didn't read the instructions fully caused me to think my Wifi hardware was defective for about a week) and then restart the PBP. That's likely to fix the problem.
(06-05-2020, 03:31 PM)Jazzband Wrote: I also had issues with wifi after updating packages. What solved it for me was reinstalling Manjaro 20.04 and ignoring updates for the ap6256-firmware package to make sure I stay on ap6256-firmware version 2020.01.

Hello Jazzband,

I downgraded the firmware and restarted the laptop but the wifi still won't connect. Any other suggestions please?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boot into NVME drive, no wifi, sound, buttons... PaulQ 0 751 07-13-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: PaulQ
  wifi missing some networks filip 0 533 03-11-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: filip
  bliuetooth not working in Armbian 22.11.1 Pinebook Pro River 0 720 12-09-2022, 04:48 PM
Last Post: River
  Suggestion / Warning about closed source wifi and keyboard / touch pad firmware omarcomputing 3 1,829 10-08-2022, 06:22 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  WiFi Signal Strength? B34N 1 1,122 07-22-2022, 01:35 PM
Last Post: poVoq
  Mid 2022: what is in your humble opinion the best working OS for the PinePro? walterbe 3 2,282 06-29-2022, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Chief
  wifi hotspot ip address symbol.accounting@gmail.com 1 1,811 11-07-2021, 12:58 AM
Last Post: dukla2000
  Wifi Troubles IDEFK 17 14,342 05-24-2021, 05:03 AM
Last Post: walterbe
  Pinebook pro poor performance on 5Ghz WiFi Iolaum 10 13,038 05-23-2021, 04:35 AM
Last Post: Ralim
Sad Webcam not working in pinebook pro with Manjaro jcarball 2 3,066 04-28-2021, 03:23 PM
Last Post: jcarball