Disappointing.
(06-03-2020, 12:27 AM)manawyrm Wrote: Booting from USB is not supported, but dd'ing an image to the SD card works reliably. /quote]

In mainline u-boot, booting from the USB2 port should be possible, but that also would require OP's u-boot/eMMC to behave properly.) I've heard rumors that mrfixit's v2.0 u-boot can as well, but I have not tested it. pcm720's BSP u-boot should have the option, too.

[quote='Arwen' pid='67572' dateline='1591589082']
Now to get the default Debian's U-Boot, that's a different story. Sorry, I don't have easy instructions to do that.

Those files can be gotten here: https://github.com/mrfixit2001/updates_r...filesystem (uboot.img, idbloader.img, and trust.img are all required) and they can be easily written using Arglebargle's script on the main wiki page. (I'd link it, but the wiki is down/being moved right now. Also be sure to check the filenames for your .img files against the filenames used in the script, and edit them to match eachother.)
Well, you know, Armbian has been doing SBC's for a number of years now
Nearly all SBC have only a uSD slot
They have gotten tired of complaints about their software that turn out to be a crap card
>I have not had any SD card issues, Using various brands, on my : ANSI PBP, ISO PBP, or my Brave Heart phone
Then you have been lucky
There are 2 factors
Speed: is it restricted to 50 mHZ? (slot restricted to ~23MB/s),, OR does card say U1 or U3
pbp sd slot CAN use 1.8V and run at 200 mHz
Writing: run many iozone tests (I have run 40+),,, see how patheticaly poor many cards are (writing, 4k, 16k)
OK if you don't write much or upgrade
And,, BTW, baked into the bootrom, the boot priority is SPI, emmc, SD, usb for program load
Most uboots change that, still read emmc first (if SPI is blank)
I have my PBP pre-installed with Manjaro KDE, which I like for the most part. Though this boot thingy is a bit worrying. Now I had to press the button to boot like 5 times before I saw the botting pic of Manjaro, though I believe I dd-d the mrfixit2001 uboot files.

Is it a worrying sign or I should ignore this?
BTW if there a noob safe way to install something debian based?
You do know, I hope, that the pwr button needs a 1+ second press?
A quick press does not work
Manjaro is a little slow to show logo, if green light is lighted, it is booting
danielt has a git that installs buster (to SD), worked for me (under mrfixit, not manjaro)
The depends can be satisfied under manjaro I think
So far, only manjaro gives decent sleep (I think I've tried all others)
(06-11-2020, 09:51 AM)wdt Wrote: So far, only manjaro gives decent sleep (I think I've tried all others)

Fedora does well, too, if you are using a BSP u-boot
(06-11-2020, 08:22 AM)cefre00 Wrote: I have my PBP pre-installed with Manjaro KDE, which I like for the most part. Though this boot thingy is a bit worrying. Now I had to press the button to boot like 5 times before I saw the botting pic of Manjaro, though I believe I dd-d the mrfixit2001 uboot files.

I would suggest the Pine stores 'usb to eMMC adapter' as a noob method to install a new OS on your eMMC
    that is what I used when I bought a new 128gb eMMC from the Pine store.

mrfixit's Debian/mate is available now

Mobian may be available now,    or will soon be available.

*   Hope that Helps ?    B.C.

( of course you should 'test drive' any OS from an SD card before installing it to your eMMC )
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(06-11-2020, 09:51 AM)wdt Wrote: You do know, I hope, that the pwr button needs a 1+ second press?
A quick press does not work
Manjaro is a little slow to show logo, if green light is lighted, it is booting
danielt has a git that installs buster (to SD), worked for me (under mrfixit, not manjaro)
The depends can be satisfied under manjaro I think
So far, only manjaro gives decent sleep (I think I've tried all others)

anything using a recent manjaro kernel works great
(06-11-2020, 07:46 PM)bcnaz Wrote:
(06-11-2020, 08:22 AM)cefre00 Wrote: I have my PBP pre-installed with Manjaro KDE, which I like for the most part. Though this boot thingy is a bit worrying. Now I had to press the button to boot like 5 times before I saw the botting pic of Manjaro, though I believe I dd-d the mrfixit2001 uboot files.

I would suggest the Pine stores 'usb to eMMC adapter' as a noob method to install a new OS on your eMMC
    that is what I used when I bought a new 128gb eMMC from the Pine store.

mrfixit's Debian/mate is available now

Mobian may be available now,    or will soon be available.

*   Hope that Helps ?    B.C.

( of course you should 'test drive' any OS from an SD card before installing it to your eMMC )

Sure you did, thank you!
I'll look this up in detail... Wink