Manjaro not booting
(06-04-2020, 01:48 PM)tophneal Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 01:43 PM)7tubb9 Wrote: I booted again and waited 30 mins then pressed ESC, the installer popped up!  I went throught it and when it was done, it tried to reboot but there was an error on calling the sleep function so I just turned it off myself.  When I took out the SD card and turned it on it when back to the black screen that was happening before I started any of this.

What happens when you try to switch to a tty?

This sounds a lot like a problem i had with Manjaro KDE on the PB1080. Most boots the display would black out after "Starting Kernel.." You might try what I would do, if you're not in a rush. When that happened on my PB1080, I would simply close the lid do something else for 20-30m and wake it. I would then be able to see SDDM and login.

Since that calls for you to wait even longer, you could also try booting another OS, like Fedora from SD and ensure it's not a hardware issue/lose connection.

I did it a second time and pressed ESC immediately and it booted normally!  I was so excited and filled out the information and got to the desktop.  I shut it down to text if it still works after that and... NOPE.  I turned it on to a black screen.  I don't know how to go to tty and would I have to do the lid trick every time if it works?  Should I return this and get a new one?
(06-04-2020, 02:03 PM)7tubb9 Wrote: I did it a second time and pressed ESC immediately and it booted normally!  I was so excited and filled out the information and got to the desktop.  I shut it down to text if it still works after that and... NOPE.  I turned it on to a black screen.  I don't know how to go to tty and would I have to do the lid trick every time if it works?  Should I return this and get a new one?

So it completed the installation, then?

Going to tty is easy, press Ctrl + Alt + 2-7 (tty7 on most x86 desktops is used by the GUI, but i Think most ARm distros for PBP have been on tty1.)
(06-04-2020, 02:13 PM)tophneal Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 02:03 PM)7tubb9 Wrote: I did it a second time and pressed ESC immediately and it booted normally!  I was so excited and filled out the information and got to the desktop.  I shut it down to text if it still works after that and... NOPE.  I turned it on to a black screen.  I don't know how to go to tty and would I have to do the lid trick every time if it works?  Should I return this and get a new one?

So it completed the installation, then?

Going to tty is easy, press Ctrl + Alt + 2-7 (tty7 on most x86 desktops is used by the GUI, but i Think most ARm distros for PBP have been on tty1.)

Yes it completed the installation, but it is a black screen.  No, I cannot enter tty.
(06-04-2020, 02:24 PM)7tubb9 Wrote: Yes it completed the installation, but it is a black screen.  No, I cannot enter tty.

I would advise trying what I did with the PB1080. boot it up, wait about a minute, close the lid, come back to it and try to wake it. At the very least, one time, to establish its behavior. I would after that, advise posting about your issue on the Manjaro forum, where their devs are more likely to see the issue.
(06-04-2020, 02:28 PM)tophneal Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 02:24 PM)7tubb9 Wrote: Yes it completed the installation, but it is a black screen.  No, I cannot enter tty.

I would advise trying what I did with the PB1080. boot it up, wait about a minute, close the lid, come back to it and try to wake it. At the very least, one time, to establish its behavior. I would after that, advise posting about your issue on the Manjaro forum, where their devs are more likely to see the issue.

It didn't work, but thank you for trying to help dude, I really appreciate it.
>Going to tty is easy, press Ctrl + Alt + 2-7
surely you mean Ctrl + Alt + F2-F7
The first line will do nothing
and yes, x is on tty1
@7tubb9 My problem was that the U-Boot supplied with Manjaro was not as reliable as default Debian I originally used. Someone suggested going back to the default Debian's U-Boot and whence I did that, booting is MUCH more reliable. Sorry, can't give you easy instructions on how to do that. as I had backups of the individual U-Boot images.

One odd thing I noticed with the Manjaro supplied U-Boot, is while it was hanging around with the black screen, I tried Control-Alt-Delete, which causes a reboot that sometimes booted Manjaro. (That key sequence on the Pinebook Pro is Control-Fn-Alt-Backspace because the Backspace is shared with Delete.)
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
There is a 'known issue' with the Manjaro ARM images in that the splash screen will show forever, and you need to hit ESC to get the installer screen to come up. Unfortunately, there is then a second issue... if you press ESC a couple of times, it will probably clear the splash screen, AND cancel the installer. That would explain the 'installed canceled' message, and also the seemingly excessive boot time. You should be able the hit esc as soon as you seen the slash screen, and IIRC, should see the boot messages and then the installer as soon as it's ready.
Maybe good idea to also announce that? I was super confused with my new Pinebook Pro and even opened it up to check the emmc switch after it booted the installer, but after the mandatory reboot the screen stayed black.

Only after several attempts and opening the case I came across this comment that pressing ESC during boot helps Sad
(06-01-2020, 01:26 PM)sinistermrcream Wrote: I gave up and just reflashed the eMMC with the 20.04 eMMC image. Back up and running.

I found the following (possibly through another post in this forum): https://forum.manjaro.org/t/arm-stable-u...els/133266

The critical post is pasted below. I was on a 20.02 image when I updated. I thought I had rebooted once, but given the fact that it relates to booting the device and the version number I was running, it seems likely this was my problem. Didn't try to fix it as I tend to save my unwilling-to-lose data on a mini usb drive so that I can more freely replace installs.
I also use syncthing to replicate critical information across multiple devices. An otherwise very limited Kindle Fire 7 can be a useful backup device with syncthing.

Anyway, hope this reaches someone before they are reading this after experiencing the issue...

Device stopped booting after Uboot update
The uboot update included a change to the extlinux.conf file. This change will be incompatible with the old 1 partition layout of some devices.
So if you are updating installs made with images 20.02.1 or older, you need to apply this fix before rebooting!
To fix this please edit your /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf file and add 2 periods in front of each first slash, like so:
Code:
KERNEL ../Image
FDT ../dtbs/ #etc.
APPEND initrd=../initramfs-linux.img #etc.
Save the file and reboot.

Hot damn, you just saved me from having to reinstall my pbpro.  You win the internet!  Thanks a ton!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manjaro versions bad and good gilwood 0 188 02-12-2024, 05:03 PM
Last Post: gilwood
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  PBP won't boot after trying to reinstall Manjaro ARM soupgirl 3 560 12-13-2023, 08:17 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Followed the blog post to install Fedora: PBP not booting anymore koenigs 6 1,736 06-01-2023, 10:58 AM
  Games compilation howto on the Pinebook-pro (Manjaro Linux and Debian native) astr0baby 201 314,470 05-12-2023, 06:09 AM
Last Post: korreckj328
  Manjaro Plasma blinking cursor jcun4128 4 1,360 05-08-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: korreckj328
  I'm booting from NVME but I want to switch back to eMMC acruhl 4 1,384 04-23-2023, 06:58 AM
Last Post: acruhl
  PBP blank screen after updating Manjaro Franko 6 1,869 04-01-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: hacknix
  Manjaro - which libdrm? hacknix 0 529 04-01-2023, 03:21 AM
Last Post: hacknix
  Partial boot after installing Manjaro on emmc regivanx 11 2,956 02-06-2023, 09:11 AM