Not receiving SMS messages
Hi All,

I have been having a problem for some time where SMS messages were not being received, but outgoing ones, phone calls and data are working fine. I am posting this in case other run into the same problem, which seems to be fairly rare so far.

It turns out that that the cause of my problem was related to a bunch of SMS messages that lingered in the modem's queue (10 of them). This queue appears to be persistent across reboots and also re-imaging the OS. I don't yet understand all of the technical details.

What worked for me was to use the ModemManager command-line. Note that on Mobian the ModemManager does all of the communications with the 3G modem including phone calls, cellular data, GPS and SMS. This may not be the case with other PinePhone OSes.

You can access the ModemManager using the mmcli command.

$ sudo mmcli -m 0 --messaging-list-sms
Found 10 SMS messages:

/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SMS/0 (received)

In my case there were 9 SMS messages in the received state and 1 in the receiving state. I deleted all of the messages like this:

$ sudo mmcli -m 0 --messaging-delete-sms=1  # Repeat with 1 through 10 to delete all of the messages

Note that the "-m 0" refers to modem 0 (the only one usually in a pinephone). For more help on the messaging related actions available in mmcli you can check the help with "mmcli --help-messaging." This article is also helpful in learning: https://electronproton.com/mmcli-command-examples/

I hope that this is helpful for anyone else having the same problems as I did.

Chris
Zry from the other thread. Thanks forposting somewhere. After reading this post I realized you might also want to copy this to a Mobian forum since it looks like I "could" possibly be an OS dependent thing.

newton688Hi All,

I have been having a problem for some time where SMS messages were not being received, but outgoing ones, phone calls and data are working fine. I am posting this in case other run into the same problem, which seems to be fairly rare so far.

It turns out that that the cause of my problem was related to a bunch of SMS messages that lingered in the modem's queue (10 of them). This queue appears to be persistent across reboots and also re-imaging the OS. I don't yet understand all of the technical details.

What worked for me was to use the ModemManager command-line. Note that on Mobian the ModemManager does all of the communications with the 3G modem including phone calls, cellular data, GPS and SMS. This may not be the case with other PinePhone OSes.

Found 10 SMS messages:

In my case there were 9 SMS messages in the received state and 1 in the receiving state. I deleted all of the messages like this:

$ sudo mmcli -m 0 --messaging-delete-sms=1  # Repeat with 1 through 10 to delete all of the messages

Note that the "-m 0" refers to modem 0 (the only one usually in a pinephone). For more help on the messaging related actions available in mmcli you can check the help with "mmcli --help-messaging." This article is also helpful in learning: https://electronproton.com/mmcli-command-examples/

I hope that this is helpful for anyone else having the same problems as I did.

Chris
(05-31-2020, 09:32 AM)1ZachM Wrote: Zry from the other thread. Thanks forposting somewhere. After reading this post I realized you might also want to copy this to a Mobian forum since it looks like I "could" possibly be an OS dependent thing.

newton688Hi All,

Found 10 SMS messages:

I hope that this is helpful for anyone else having the same problems

s I did.

Chris

Thanks Chris!  That worked, I was having the same issue...
I have the same issue. Both in mobian and ubports.
I have used the same "fix" but in a different method. Also adding it to a script and then to a cron job as seen here.
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...5#pid65065
On mobian you will also need to install cron if you are wanting to use cron (could be done with modifying the script to loop)
apt update
apt install --no-install-recommends cron

This solves it for the time being. There are still times that receiving sms messages will fail though from my usage as the modem will "lock" and require a shutdown and power up to reset it. This seems to mainly be when the phone battery drains fully and shuts off.

As noted in the above thread there is a race condition going on. I have not yet been able to get mms to work, so instead was going to try setting the modem offline and seeing if the cache can still be cleared.
I have a similar issue in both Mobian and UBT not showing sms, I think its Chatty related.

when I run

sudo mmcli -m 0 --messaging-list-sms

and it responds with some message being present such as

/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SMS/3 (received)

then I'm able to view message through cli using

sudo mmcli -s 3
----------------------------
General | dbus path: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SMS/3
Content | number: xxxxxxxxxx
| text: Test
Properties | pdu type: cdma-deliver
| state: received
| storage: me
| teleservice id: wmt

but this message never seems to be passed to Chatty.

Any thought on whats going on or the underlying issue?
(06-09-2020, 09:59 AM)brb78 Wrote: I have a similar issue in both Mobian and UBT not showing sms, I think its Chatty related.
Any thought on whats going on or the underlying issue?

Maybe search the chatty issues for "sms". Maybe this is related?
Updating to Chatty 0.1.11-1 seemed to resolve this, just got flooded with sms and new ones are coming through in realtime.
After about 24 sms, Chat seems to be failing to get new messages from the modem again even though they do show as "received" in mmcli. I'm not sure what about updating Chat briefly fixed this, but its back.
Using "modem-manager-gui" as my sms app I'm able to send and receive sms on VZ... not as polished looking as Chatty, but at least it works. The trouble I've had would seem to be on Chatty's end, not Pine64.
(07-02-2020, 01:56 PM)brb78 Wrote: Using "modem-manager-gui" as my sms app I'm able to send and receive sms on VZ... not as polished looking as Chatty, but at least it works. The trouble I've had would seem to be on Chatty's end, not Pine64.

This is what I'm doing too. Modem-manager-gui doesn't seem to accept any text with an emoji, and if the phone is in a low power state or off, messages do not appear later. mmcli also shows no messages.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to send messages with chatty user641 0 723 09-07-2022, 04:35 AM
Last Post: user641
  Receiving SMS stopped working treebeard 11 5,236 08-12-2022, 10:31 AM
Last Post: treebeard
  Chatty - XMPP receiving photos - inline display doesn't work arkadione 2 1,871 07-10-2022, 03:16 AM
Last Post: arkadione
  Not receiving SMSs biketool 1 1,292 04-17-2022, 05:11 AM
Last Post: biketool
  GDM3 Receiving call on login screen d-.-b 4 3,466 10-07-2021, 06:59 PM
Last Post: d-.-b
Question Best Way of Receiving Calls Without SIM (VOIP) lovepine88 16 12,130 10-07-2021, 12:38 AM
Last Post: AndyM
  Pinephone not receiving SMS. SMS not showing on modem either. norbear 4 5,060 03-27-2021, 11:43 AM
Last Post: norbear
  Chat client is eating messages tecnocris 0 1,279 03-06-2021, 10:14 AM
Last Post: tecnocris
  Possible to disable display of SMS text messages? Zebulon Walton 2 3,136 12-08-2020, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Information Receiving Call During Sleep Experiment/Experience RTP 1 2,838 11-05-2020, 03:47 PM
Last Post: dukla2000