Graphics
(02-11-2016, 09:04 PM)lenny.raposo Wrote: Firstly my critique is constructive Joe and it raises a good point regarding the blatant false advertising of Ubuntu (Linux) support.

I am a developer who has a lot of experience with these kinds of projects. What was promised with the campaign regarding Ubuntu support was not accurate in the slightest, but the way it was presented implied that support was already in place when in fact it was not.

Correct me if I am wrong, but what operating system(s) is/are actually fully running stable on the board besides Android? Has anyone got to the stage of running a DE in a Linux port on the Pine? Also can you or any of the staff direct me to any documentation from Canonical that states the Pine64 is officially supported as so implied with nice "Ubuntu" logo placed on the campaign page?

The project is very ambitious and I like it for that fact, but be warned others in the community will eventually start to question when said support for the other environments outside of Android will be implemented.

Don't get me wrong I do want this project to succeed I just wish that the Pine64 already had an Ubuntu port available as implied in the kickstarter campaign is all. Until then the Pine64 is another Android board.

If it makes you feel any better sir next time I will just post a link to my original forum post for those in the Linux community to read instead double posting in the future.

Furthermore based on the 3d Acceleration discussion, which prompted my critique, the only platform I have come across to date that supports 3d acceleration is Raspberry's platform as I have not seen anything thus far with a Mali GPU offer that to date without a severe degree of instability. This is something myself and others in the Linux community have stated before.

Good day to you sir Smile

you say they is very have ambitious and implied about support Ubuntu logo   , this is subjective thinking and they kickstarter no say they is support by official pine64 Ubuntu (Linux) or  community Ubuntu (Linux) , just Only have Ubuntu ( Linux ), i don't agree your point !

I don't talk more , if you reply your next message , because this is subjective thinking !
I'm withdrawing my pledge if that's even possible at this point. We've been lied to, and no one from PINE64 is answering OUR question:
Are we getting Accelerated Video drivers OR NOT. How hard is it to answer the damn question.
//signed by The Dude//
Rev. Dylan J. Fahey
Ordained Dudeist Priest at Dudeism, the Church of the Latter-Day Dude
http://dudeism.com/ordcertificate-print.php?ordname=Dylan%20James%20Fahey&orddate=05/01/2015
Famous Quote by daughter Elizabeth Margaret: "If I was them cows, I'd run away!"

Bobf: Note, it is no longer a pledge -- the money has already been taken out of your account. I tend to view it as sunk costs. I will have to think whether I add any more money when the backerkit survey comes out.
This is the second kickstarter I've been screwed on. This is the LAST one. Thanks Pine for screwing the next project that I WONT fund. What was I thinking, that someone might actually be honest.
//signed by The Dude//
Rev. Dylan J. Fahey
Ordained Dudeist Priest at Dudeism, the Church of the Latter-Day Dude
http://dudeism.com/ordcertificate-print.php?ordname=Dylan%20James%20Fahey&orddate=05/01/2015
Famous Quote by daughter Elizabeth Margaret: "If I was them cows, I'd run away!"

(02-18-2016, 10:44 AM)BobF Wrote: This is the second kickstarter I've been screwed on.  This is the LAST one.  Thanks Pine for screwing the next project that I WONT fund. What was I thinking, that someone might actually be honest.

You (we) may well end up getting accelerated video drivers, just not right now.
(02-18-2016, 10:44 AM)BobF Wrote: This is the second kickstarter I've been screwed on.  This is the LAST one.  Thanks Pine for screwing the next project that I WONT fund. What was I thinking, that someone might actually be honest.

I suppose you read what the concern troll wrote earlier. If you are affected by concern trolls, you need to re-evaluate things.
Wow...  I see how some may feel s/he have been misled, but from what I gathered at the original KS stages, Android would be supported.  That is why I backed this project.  Now, it may have been misleading for the Ubuntu logo and subsequent KS or forum posts of Pine working on Linux support, they are however look to be working on it.   Doesn't necessarily mean they would fully support it, but I gather the buzz around having Linux support will be forthcoming... just not in the immediate time frame.  Maybe once those in the March/April time period see their boards coming in there will be more community support.  Time will tell.  

To each his/her own.  We all took a risk in some way as do all crowdfunding/sourcing projects, but that is a risk *hopefully* those backers are willing to take.  IIRC, the cooler/blender/part-the-Red Sea KS project had issues and didn't deliver as promised.
Linux support is coming up nicely thanks to Linux-Sunxi. Several developers received boards to test / devel / play around ( I was lucky to get one was well) and support is emerging.
I understand that some backers will be disappointed - they don't get shiny working out of the box  armv8 Linux box for 20$ right away. Looking at other arm devices that have binary blob only support for accelerated graphics it should not be a surprise that there won't be full open source support for everything as soon as Kickstarter delivers the boards.  (check http://linux-sunxi.org/Mali400 for more info)
I don't know how big is engineering team of Allwinner working on improvements for Android BSP (that can be reused for Linux support). Based on the traffic on #linux-sunxi there are two developers (apritzel, longsleep) actively working with Pine and as far as I know it is not their day job to do so. There are few others working on other parts of Allwinner ecosystem related to Pine ( regulators, dtb: Wens, SSVB).
Again, I doubt any of them is paid by Pine/Allwinner to get Linux support for Pine64.
If you want to help - get on the IRC, download images test them, report bugs, if you feel strong enough and have enough time - see if there are some tasks you can help with.
Graphics support is quite complicated and does not mean much without narrowing down what exactly we are referring to.
There are the X11 drivers, the somewhat accelerated framebuffer, Wayland, or even Vulkan. Which one?
(02-19-2016, 09:56 AM)taros Wrote: Graphics support is quite complicated and does not mean much without narrowing down what exactly we are referring to.
There are the X11 drivers, the somewhat accelerated framebuffer, Wayland, or even Vulkan. Which one?

Personally i would love to see wayland support. Ideally, wayland and x11. I don't think the Pine will benefit anything from Vulkan... might be wrong...
Someone said that the developers lied about Ubuntu support... i don't think that is true... you see, it's about how you phrase things... Linux and Ubuntu will work on this board. We just don't know if or when will we have accelerated graphics... you'll have Linux and Ubuntu, but in Terminal mode... that is Linux/Ubuntu support...
And the Pine64 developers cleverly hid this piece of information in order to grab a few extra bucks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linux accelerated graphics nomadewolf 1 4,364 12-29-2015, 11:26 PM
Last Post: tllim