Browser
(02-29-2020, 09:12 AM)pinetester Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 11:10 AM)canadien666 Wrote: Anyone have any luck with a browser that will launch the virtual keyboard?  I installed Firefox-ESR, works fine except the keyboard doesn't launch...  

FYI, the keyboard launches in Gpodder, VLC...

https://leste.maemo.org/PinePhone

They had mentioned the default keyboard only works with gtk2 application, but they also mentioned the fix is coming:
"Virtual keyboard should work in all gtk2 applications (not yet in gtk3 and qt, but this is coming)."

If you want some light browsing then text browsers like "links" will do (don't use anything that needs login with them as they are not patched as fast as other browsers like firefox). You can use them for downloading extra packages that are not in the repository.The command "sudo apt-get links" will install it. However if you have never tried text browsers before you may need some time to get use to it.

I tried to install another virtual keyboard to see if it works. I tested with "florence" but the resizing did not work. The built-in zoom out of florence keyboard failed with "gtk_window_resize: assertion 'width > 0' failed".

Then I tried "xrandr -o normal" (currently it is default as "xrandr -o right") to see if I can force florence to resize with a smaller screen width when it starts up. It seems that it cannot read the width correctly. And if screen orientaion is changed the default virtual keyboard is still reading keys from its original position. I had to copy the command for florence before changing the orientaion as I cannot type afterwards, then uses paste key which along with enter key are at both corners. After florence started it failed to use the new width and left a blank black screen.

Testing is always fun. Perhaps I should try other on screen keyboard also.

Messages In This Thread
Browser - by canadien666 - 02-28-2020, 11:10 AM
RE: Browser - by pinetester - 02-29-2020, 09:12 AM
RE: Browser - by pinetester - 03-01-2020, 01:14 AM
RE: Browser - by canadien666 - 03-02-2020, 10:26 AM
RE: Browser - by buffer - 03-02-2020, 11:37 AM