The experience for developers is bad
The current PineTime devices are expected to be sold only "for these units to find their way into the hands of  developer with extensive embedded OS experience and an interest in Smart Watch development." and the need to use special hardware to program them is also called out on the same page.

The challenges you are facing are, I think, the reason the above quote appears on the sales site. Right now there are lots of different developers (including me) experimenting with different tools, techniques and operating systems to make the PineTime do interesting things and/or to become usable once the back has been glued on (I don't think I have removed the back from my own device for several weeks now and I have still been busy developing for it all that time).

In short, although we don't yet know which approach will turn out to be best you should expect production watches to be shipped with the backs glued on (otherwise they will not be splash proof) and with a documented means for programming them over-the-air.
PineTime: wasp-os and MicroPython, Pinebook Pro:  Debian Bullseye

Messages In This Thread
RE: The experience for developers is bad - by danielt - 03-02-2020, 07:19 AM
The experience for developers is bad - by lupyuen - 03-06-2020, 08:11 PM
The experience for developers is bad - by lupyuen - 03-08-2020, 07:52 PM