Pinebook Pro Open Arena Tournament (Saturday /Sunday fun anyone?)
(01-12-2020, 07:49 AM)Luke Wrote: Hi Everyone,

I just figured out how to get Open Arena working on the Pinebook Pro yesterday - turns out ioquake3 is broken in Debian/ Ubuntu repos.
Being somewhat of an arena-shooting fan   I wanted to suggest we have a community play throughout the weekend (and potentially beyond), fragging like its 2001 again.

Also, if someone has ever set up a dedicated Q3 or OpenArena server please let me know - it could spare me a lot of learning how to set a server up. The server will be running on a RockPro64, which I assume will be sufficient for this task.
I'll edit this post with server details and how-to-connect information once I've set it up.

There is only one rule:  you have to play on a PBP (or Rockpr64)

Something you may want to consider also, apparently the game runs much better on Manjaro than default Debian - so you may wish to use that instead. I am not providing instructions for installing Open Arena on Manjaro however, someone else may wish to do that in this thread.

Here is how you install and set up Open Arena on the Pinebook Pro default Debian:  

Start by installing Open Arena via apt:
Code:
sudo apt-get install openarena

Once done, fetch this (working) ioquake3 deb but instead of installing the .deb extract the game data from it:

Code:
cd /tmp
mv ~/Downloads/ioquake3_1.36+u20160122+dfsg1-1_armhf.deb ioquake.deb
ar x ioquake.deb data.tar.xz

Now lets fetch and substitute the working ioquake3 file:

Code:
tar Jxf data.tar.xz ./usr/lib/ioquake3/ioquake3
sudo mv ./usr/lib/ioquake3/ioquake3 /usr/lib/ioquake3/ioquake3

You can clean up now:

Code:
rm -fr ./usr ioquake.deb

Starting the Game

I found that these settings work the best with lowest graphics settings on Debian. You may wish to set the CPU to 'Performance' governor.
Again, from what I've heard performance on Manjaro is double, so you may choose to use that instead.

Code:
openarena +set cl_renderer opengl1 +set r_mode -1 +set r_customwidth 1920 +set r_customheight 1080 +set r_fullscreen 1 +set cg_drawFPS 1 +set r_swapinterval 1 +set  r_finish 0

Hope to see you online this coming weekend Smile

Hi Luke! I was wondering if you'll host this again in a couple of weeks for those who ordered their PBPs late? It would be awesome if you did!

Re: Setting up a server: I currently have a server on Digital Ocean that runs Quake 3 and Doom(original). I would be happy to help if you have any questions!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pinebook Pro Open Arena Tournament (Saturday /Sunday fun anyone?) - by mhj - 01-12-2020, 02:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wiki: Pinebook 1080 entry disappeared Surehand53 1 2,833 12-28-2020, 11:21 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Can't open alerts on HTTP forum zxorg 0 2,464 12-02-2020, 08:09 AM
Last Post: zxorg
  Selling Pinebook 14" with 64GB eMMC, from Europe dahni 2 4,787 11-07-2018, 05:45 AM
Last Post: Luke