Looking to commission a new Chromium build (COMMUNITY BOUNTY)
Hey there, fellow Piners!

I know it's not the most popular OS option for the PBP, but I love the simplicity and features available in ChromiumOS. I currently run ayufan's R77 build on my eMMC, and it's awesome, but I'd really like to see a working Crostini, and Android apps, if possible. The initial Chromium images were ready and available by the time most started getting their PBPs, and I imagine could probably benefit from some of the improvements from other kernels, since then.

From what I can tell ayufan is pretty busy with expanding the Linux support for the PBP, so I don't want to bother him with any requests. That man has given this community a lot of software already. I know I've used a lot of his builds across several Pine devices. I've tried to take this on myself as well, but I keep finding build documentation that isn't fully up-to-date and stops my progress, Google has been blocking me from setting up the necessary APIs, and plainly: I have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

This brings me to here and now. I'd like to commission a developer to create a more featured Chromium build for the community. As stated above, I know I really want to see a build with working
  • Crostini
  • Android apps (from what I've read I think Android apps should work if Linux Beta does) This should get easier as CrOS develops and transitions to using ARCVM.
  • the built-in cam (Currently works when using setup/settings to take a profile picture, but nowhere else.)
  • retain suspend functionality (most of the OS options, especially with mainline kernels, seem to have lost this) At this point, I already know we'll have to make sacrifices to maintain S3 sleep. From what I understand it's possible to use up to v5.8 for the kernel with BSP uboot, though.
  • one of the modified u-boots with SD or NVMe boot priority Now the latest mrfixit2001 BSP uboot already includes the traditional and additional boot priorities. Mainline uboot also includes these, in addition to USB IIRC.
If any other users feel I left something off here, please chime in.

I'm more than happy to contribute monetarily to anyone able to take this on, in addition to any testing, and hope that other users who would enjoy this image will too.

EDIT: The money pool can be found here: https://paypal.me/pools/c/8lzjzMkXjw

EDIT2: I just purchased an ANSI model from a user, so when it arrives, I could potentially provide my ISO to any developer that would like to take this on, but doesn't have a PBP.

EDIT 3: Interested in tackling this challenge, but lack the development resources? (CrOS requires a lot of space and X86 to build.) Contact me directly, and we can discuss providing you access to one of my servers.

Messages In This Thread
Looking to commission a new Chromium build (COMMUNITY BOUNTY) - by tophneal - 01-02-2020, 03:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Black screen on both FydeOS as Chromium from github QuinTeknoLife 0 3,500 04-15-2021, 11:44 AM
Last Post: QuinTeknoLife
  Chromium OS 78? obyknovenius 2 6,023 02-04-2020, 02:11 PM
Last Post: brent.thierens
Question Does the Pinebook Pro support chromium developer mode? TDC_PBP 3 6,673 12-07-2019, 02:33 PM
Last Post: TDC_PBP
  Possible to use different uboot with Chromium? tophneal 1 3,838 11-04-2019, 08:38 AM
Last Post: tophneal