Re-partitioning; Adding swap partition; Using GPT partitions
The summary above now looks rather similar to the one I originally offered @Arwen! There are driver gaps for Pinebook Pro but as soon as the PBP specific u-boot drivers (the most difficult of which is to add code to light up the panel) are written then UEFI support should essentially be "free".

I'm not really a u-boot developer. I have sent the odd patch here and there over the years but it has all been drive-by contributions, nothing longer than a couple of lines.

My interest in all this is very single minded to be honest: I want the official upstream generic Debian Arm64 ISO to work on Pinebook Pro as well as it does on a regular PC and plan to work on whatever the most immediate obstacle is... although be warned that I may get interested in something else before reaching the finishing line (and especially so when my PineTime arrives).

The unofficial Debian installer I shared (https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8487 ) represented my work to date! The initial obstacle[1] was getting Debian running well on the PBP with the fewest hacks possible: sneaky hacks tend not to work with generic installers so it is important to find out what the hacks are and eliminate them. u-boot isn't the next obstacle yet (I want to look a bit deeper at kernel packaging first since there are still a few shortcuts I took that I need to tidy up) but I think it will be soon! Note also that the default partitioning and firmware scheme was also an early minor obstacle which I addressed in the unofficial installer and shared on this thread.

[1] Actually strictly speaking the initial obstacle was having a close-to-mainline kernel to develop against; I started working on that but when @tsys published his work I saw he was much further along than me so I rebased on his kernel instead.
PineTime: wasp-os and MicroPython, Pinebook Pro:  Debian Bullseye

Messages In This Thread
RE: Re-partitioning; Adding swap partition; Using GPT partitions - by danielt - 12-17-2019, 04:54 AM