KNOWING how to properly use the "dd" command.
(04-09-2019, 07:54 AM)MECZero Wrote: Thanks for sharing this. Until recently, I had never even heard of the dd command, but now have used it many times. Smile

This will be very helpful for new comers.

I'm glad you found this informative and useful; "dd" is one of those really good commands that doesn't get enough exposure. I mainly (99.99 %) use it to make bootable USB flash drives of Linux "-.iso" files I've downloaded. Works every time, and not nearly as finicky as 'unetbootin', for example (the downloaded file has to be an "iso" file). All you have to know is

1) the filename and location
2) the 'target' device (where you're writing to--'sdb', for example)
3) how careful you need to be, with everything dealing with the use of "dd" (this is probably the reason a lot of people don't use it).

[See my next "add-on" post]

I am posting this to show how easy the use of ""dd" is (you don't really have to use a lot of options after the basic command), and for showing how important its use is cosidered--by one of the world's top distro designers:

The following is taken from Klaus Knopper's introduction of Knoppix v. 8.5, in "Linux Magazin".

"KNOPPIX 8.5.0 Linux Magazin Release"

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix850-en.html  --

"... With the new Hybrid layout of the ISO file, the file can be copied directly to USB flash disk, either using standard Linux tools like..."dd"...

Example:

Code:
dd if=KNOPPIX_V8.5-2019-02-10-EN.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

Messages In This Thread
RE: KNOWING how to properly use the "dd" command. - by chessie - 04-14-2019, 05:05 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Wlan Driver does not work properly matze79 2 4,467 12-15-2019, 02:50 AM
Last Post: matze79
  Launching a terminal app from command line Siliconserf 5 6,927 09-29-2017, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Siliconserf