Tutorial:How to Configure ATS Fan control
Wink 
(02-06-2019, 03:13 PM)Neo2018 Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 07:27 AM)tuxd3v Wrote: I noticed that you are using Seagate IronWolf disks..
Those cat handle a max temp of 70C, WesternDigital max out at 60C..
I also have IronWolfs in my setup.. 
I made a tutorial that you will need for Seagate disks:
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=7137
Thanks for the tip, good job again!
But I'm a bit scared to install an external tool now. Data loss.
I use OMV with S.M.A.R.T. for the HDD.
[Image: 2R3Yf.jpg]
Are you of the opinion that the tool is a good extension and with S.M.A.R.T. compatible?

Hello Neo2018,
100% positive!  Shy 

That tools, can work in some Other vendors to( at a certain extent, Samsung/WesternDigital, etc ), but they are made for Seagate Disks!

Puting the question on other way...
Does the Standard tools( on Linux ) we know, are able to provide the same, as do the Own Seagate Tools( OpenSeaChest ), on Seagate Disks?
I believe not, the Seagate tools are the best for Seagate disks like the ironWolfs,has they have S.M.A.R.T Features and also, other tunning features that are IP related with Seagate Technology..
They implement all standards, plus Own Seagate Tech..

The 2 tooltips, are a must,
Because they increase disks lifespan, and they also increase Rockpro64 PowerManagement /Power Supply life span( has the disks have technology to be less aggressive..they use also less power...its a Win-Win-Win situation.. )

Os startup the discs will be first in Standby( which is nice because they push a lot less energy, when system startup ).
They also will use less aggressive acceleration, when start spinning, its more controlled, and so less vibration and less current peaks needed Smile

The image you show are related with PowerModes,
That is yet another thing, related with power management( But by time Frames.. ), but Unrelated with the 2 parameters on my post.

Those 2 parameters are the first ones that I set, when Configuring IronWolfs, they are a must, and because I saw that you use ironwolfs, I gave you the tips Wink

You don't loose data with them, and you can also disable them whenever you want too.
But there are other options there,
To format disks, to write firmware update to disks, and so on, and with them, you could end with a disk damaged( if you don't know what you are doing...just imagine re flashing a new version of firmware...and the power is lost in the process...you can trow the disk to RubishBin ).

Basically APM, have modes from 1-254
On Ironwolfs,:
 1-127 : Means possibility of Standby, after some time spinning
128-254: Don't have the possibility to standby, also 254 is full performance on IronWolfs..

I also set my disks to 127,
Because they can wakeup to work, and then go Standby.

I will create another How-to for tunning, when I have some spare time  Shy

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tutorial:How to Configure ATS Fan control - by tuxd3v - 02-06-2019, 04:55 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SkiffOS server with Docker ,NAS, Home assistant, Jellyfin, Snikket XMPP (tutorial) GreyLinux 12 9,401 04-04-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: GreyLinux
  SimpNas server with docker - home assistant, radicale , jellyfin & esphome (tutorial) GreyLinux 0 4,328 01-17-2021, 11:33 AM
Last Post: GreyLinux
  Serial Connection Tutorial: FTDI 232RL hmuller 0 3,135 10-23-2020, 11:56 AM
Last Post: hmuller
Wink Tutorial[ Seagate Disks ]: Optimize Life Span/Power Managment tuxd3v 14 23,535 06-19-2019, 04:40 AM
Last Post: Neo2018
Thumbs Up Tutorial[ Seagate Disks ]: Install Seagate OpenSeaChest Utilities tuxd3v 41 74,247 04-08-2019, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Neo2018
  Tutorial[ Multimedia ] : Play DVD movies tuxd3v 0 2,674 02-26-2019, 07:21 PM
Last Post: tuxd3v
  Tutorial[ OpenCL ]: OpenCL 1.2 FULL_PROFILE Working tuxd3v 0 3,919 11-06-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: tuxd3v