SD-HDD migration
(11-03-2018, 08:41 PM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote:
(11-03-2018, 08:36 PM)evilbunny Wrote:
(11-03-2018, 08:33 PM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote: Keep in mind that you are talking with an advanced user only, no expert by any meter...so it can be selected by partition name, but where do i set it? do i need to label any boot partition i want as "boot" or "root" or where to chose wich to use? (i ask all this because afaik sda1/sda2 can change depending what device answer faster at boot time (wich in this case id asume the ssd is going to answer faster than the hdd but i would like to be sure))

Ayufan's images set boot as boot and root as linux-root

In this case its OMV wich afaik is heavily based on ayufan images so i guess its the same and if not i can use one of the ayufan omv images directly i guess, thanks for the info Big Grin

Im here to report that this mostly work 
1- burn spi
2- burn with etcher the omv image on an hdd (ssd in this case) using the jmicro usb-sata adapter
3- remove the jmicro-ssd kit and place it on any linux device with gparted (i used a spare raspi but probably any windows can do too with gparted) to use the whole drive (personally i simply created a new ext4 partition on the free space, there is the option to resize the omv partition i guess but i think there is a problem if you try to share from that partition)
3- boot and use said drive as main drive instead of a microsd/emmc

Im using a Kingston UV400 120gb if anyone wonders and i have a dozen dockers runing from it over omv, works wonders and super fast

BUT! i say that it MOSTLY works because it sometimes wont boot, im not sure what happens but if i reboot the device it works about 99% of the times (seen it only fail once in fact, maybe a different issue that lone time) but if i turn it off and unplug and plug it back (i dont have easy access to the buttons) it fails to start about 50% of the trys, not a big issue and im going to use it as is since i have it on all the time anyway but i would like to know why this happens and to solve it if this have a solution, im not sure if i can provide any logs since the device dont even try to boot from the external hdd, i dont see any of the lights of any of the hdds blink at all when it fails (nor anything on screen ofc), how can i see if there is any uboot log? uboot does any loging? i dont have atm any usb serial adapter and im not planing to buy one but if its the only option ill consider it i guess...thanks for any help...

Messages In This Thread
SD-HDD migration - by Trash_Can_Man - 11-03-2018, 06:32 PM
RE: SD-HDD migration - by evilbunny - 11-03-2018, 07:53 PM
RE: SD-HDD migration - by Trash_Can_Man - 11-03-2018, 08:00 PM
RE: SD-HDD migration - by evilbunny - 11-03-2018, 08:03 PM
RE: SD-HDD migration - by Trash_Can_Man - 11-03-2018, 08:08 PM
RE: SD-HDD migration - by evilbunny - 11-03-2018, 08:18 PM
RE: SD-HDD migration - by Trash_Can_Man - 11-03-2018, 08:33 PM
RE: SD-HDD migration - by evilbunny - 11-03-2018, 08:36 PM
RE: SD-HDD migration - by Trash_Can_Man - 11-03-2018, 08:41 PM
RE: SD-HDD migration - by Trash_Can_Man - 11-23-2018, 08:24 AM