Hardware issue overheating while booting and fail to boot
Short version:
A functional RockPro64 stopped working, and fails to boot. Clean Reinstall on SD card completed -- no effect, still cannot boot. If plugged in for more than 3-5 minutes the heatsink on the cpu will become noticeably hot to the touch (implying some sort of operation is being run on the cpu). The LED indicator is no longer coming on (i.e. the one that sits directly behind the reset button).

Longer version:
I originally had a RockPro64 that was functional. One day, after using it for a while (I was testing out vnc viewers), I left for a moment and when I returned the device was powered but the screen had shut off. I attempted to wake it (failed), tried to reboot it (failed), unplugged and waited a bit before plugging it back in, it still failed to boot. I then left it for a few minutes and when I came back, the heatsink on the CPU was hot to the touch (yet the LED indicator located behind the reset button which is usually on when the board is on, was off). I unplugged it to let it cool down. Once cool, I plugged it back in and tried to use both the reset button and the power button in an attempt to force the boot sequence to start. Neither produced any results. The board started to get hot again so I unplugged and decided to check the SD card. It seems to be undamaged (all my files were accessible so I was able to retrieve my files). Returned the SD card to the board and tried to boot again -- same result (overheating with a black screen-- no blinking cursor, nothing, I dont think the screen even recognized the input). I decided to bite the bullet and reburn a clean image of the linux distro onto it and try again. No issues during the burn process and I returned the SD card to the board and attempted to boot it). Exact same result -- no lights, no signals, but if you leave it for 5 minutes the heatsink will be hot. The only indication LED that is still on is the DCIN one.

I have tried different computer monitors, to no effect. I think it is also important to note that when the board was functioning normally, the heatsink would remain cool to the touch during the boot up process and even during light usage (i.e. writing some code). Something very abnormal has occured, and I think it is a hardware issue, but I am kind of stuck at this point.

Any insight into what I should attempt next would be appreciated (or confirmation that someone else as experienced something similar).

Messages In This Thread
Hardware issue overheating while booting and fail to boot - by DIDquest - 08-20-2018, 02:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  enble boot after power loss/restore dkebler 18 9,425 12-04-2023, 12:14 PM
Last Post: ok38
  Mainline U-Boot with SPI, NVMe and SATA boot support sigmaris 108 119,465 09-25-2023, 12:46 AM
Last Post: ChriChri
Bug Broken boot: What am I missing? mkosarek 1 666 09-08-2023, 08:14 AM
Last Post: wdt
  Unable to boot Armbian on new RockPro64 mooseball 5 4,252 07-14-2023, 08:59 AM
Last Post: rockjonn
  no boot white led flashing moserwi 7 4,317 05-18-2023, 10:46 AM
Last Post: wdt
  Hardware fix for software sound problem on Rockpro64 Ricks Rockpro 0 891 04-06-2023, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Ricks Rockpro
  u-boot locked on pine64pro ljones 1 1,548 09-06-2022, 10:32 AM
Last Post: ljones
  Cannot get my board to boot deutschlmao 11 8,188 09-05-2022, 04:23 PM
Last Post: ljones
  U-BOOT Tutorial hazz 0 1,151 07-19-2022, 10:48 PM
Last Post: hazz
  Installation Debian on emmc: which U-Boot and where? vongillus 3 2,798 07-02-2022, 09:24 AM
Last Post: dkebler