A user's guide (manual) is really needed; the wiki page isn't enough
Let me spill my heart out. The idea was that people will contribute to the wiki and it will be an organic process that will reuire structure but not guidence. To this end, I spent a long time putting together the Project section together: http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Project where I hoped people will upload their projects and tutorials.

I even started on this section http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Knowledge_Idea, which I hoped would include fixes, external resources, videos, etc., Suffice to say, this didn't exactly work out. Despite numerous requests to contribute, help with documentation, help with writing up, provide suggestions and feedback ... I literally maybe had one or two people do something for the wiki. Perhaps others contributed something to, and I may have overlooked it (in which case I apologize) but it couldn't have been anything major.

I admit that this is very disheartening (since it was kind-of my and TL's idea), but much more importantly is also clear its not going to work and its time to move onto a plan B. The question is what would that plan actually be? I am not going to spend hours every month on updating the wiki with new projects and tutorials. New and interesting stuff literally pops up everywhere (this is just an hr ago on Twitter https://twitter.com/bobboteck/status/103...8379266048); nor do I feel like taking on the burden of documenting every new board in the future. And before someone says "have PINE64 do it" - let me just cut it short by saying that the PINE64 guys are amazing at other things, but will not produce the sort of tutorials many of you want.  

And then there is the subject of preferences of individual devs. In example, ayufan prefers to have documentation for his images on github - which include basic stuff such as flashing instructions, but also really interesting and advanced tutorials on how to overclock, use FEL, etc,. Its his hard work that benefits us all and so he has the final say as to where he wants the documentation to be. But it also begs the question of whether we should link/ duplicate/ or selectively copy his documentation in the PINE64 wiki ... this is just one example (another obvious one being RK and their wiki) but I can think of plenty more.

As always, I am all ears if you have suggestions on how to proceed.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Messages In This Thread
RE: A user's guide (manual) is really needed; the wiki page isn't enough - by Luke - 08-16-2018, 02:32 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advise needed, which OS / applications to use? hemertje 7 7,809 12-20-2020, 10:39 AM
Last Post: hemertje
  OpenWRT installation guide for RockPro64 Summer 1 4,002 07-16-2020, 01:50 AM
Last Post: mocara
  Is there a guide to using the PADI-Server serial console adapter? Tim Jones 1 2,689 11-04-2019, 01:25 PM
Last Post: xalius
  What's up with the Rockchip Open Source Wiki and main site? Tigger 4 4,841 08-15-2018, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Tigger
  ROCKPro64 wiki main page tllim 2 5,039 05-11-2018, 11:21 AM
Last Post: tllim