No signs of life - what am I doing wrong?
Let me first say that I have over 40 years of computer and electronics experience and have worked on many different sizes and types of systems.  I own a number of one-board systems including several other ARM-based projects that I backed on KS. In each case I was able to easily verify within hours of delivery that I had received a working board.

I just received my 2 gig Pine64+ and I'm having the same challenge as other new Pine64 recipients here - I've burned RemixOS to a 16gb Class 10 card using the PhoenixCard tool as shown in the video.  I connect HDMI and Ethernet, insert the MicroSD card, making sure it clicks all the way in, and then plug in my power connection to the MicroUSB connector.  The power light goes on but nothing else happens, even if I leave the board alone for more than 30 minutes.  I am seeing the activity lights on the Ethernet jack flicker, further confirming that the board has power, but absolutely nothing else happens.

1. Is there something else we have to do to force the board to start up and boot?
2. How long is it reasonable to wait before we see some sign of life from the board?
3. Is there any progress indication while the board is performing its initial boot?

It is amazing to me that there is not some sort of OOB write-up or video available for this board, as there has been for every other board I have worked with. If nothing else, this would assure each backer that they had not just bought a brick. I honestly do not believe that the developers of Pine64 have met the minimum standard for releasing a product.  Instead of rushing to get the basic hardware in the mail by the end of March, the right thing to do would have been to delay shipping until a better first experience could be made available. Those of us who have been in the trenches and know how hard it is to bring in a large project on schedule would have understood completely.

Messages In This Thread
No signs of life - what am I doing wrong? - by bratoff - 04-01-2016, 07:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  wrong launguage install chadace 1 4,046 06-08-2020, 08:31 PM
Last Post: chadace
  is my eMMC broken or am I wrong? jykeith123 8 10,903 01-25-2018, 10:27 PM
Last Post: jykeith123
  What am I doing wrong? Gauloises 3 5,842 06-17-2016, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Ghost