Launching a terminal app from command line
This whole exercise started from my desire to double-click an icon on the desktop and have the target application launch without jumping through hoops with the command line each time I wanted to run the program.

Putting a copy of the script file that actually launches the program I want to run, on the desktop, didn't work. Probably something subtle in the file. Creating a script file to launch that script file seemed the easier approach. After a few attempts I found a measure of success, but it was with one too many terminal windows. Further work yielded the working script I posted, but I'm still curious as to how to tell the terminal application to not post the exit codes. Probably I would get more success in that with the program writers, but I thought bash might let me get there.

In any event, the application is the swamp, the scripts are the alligators. As much fun as it has been to wrestle with them, I really need to get back to draining the swamp.

;-)

Oh, and thanks for taking the time to try to help with my puzzle.
"Get your facts straight first, then distort them as you wish." -- Mark Twain

Messages In This Thread
RE: Launching a terminal app from command line - by Siliconserf - 09-29-2017, 02:32 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SOLVED] How to poweroff PBP from Linux terminal? mx43 1 3,776 03-21-2020, 12:49 PM
Last Post: tllim
  KNOWING how to properly use the "dd" command. chessie 5 6,113 04-29-2019, 12:59 AM
Last Post: erchache2000
Information i3wm xenial-i3 introduction -- mate terminal & battery monitor MarkHaysHarris777 4 6,948 08-31-2017, 04:47 AM
Last Post: shirman