Don't vi on me and tell me it's raining! Where's pico?
Now that we have the vim trolling behind us, I thought it might be helpful to answer your real question: "Where is pico?"

... pico editor ( on PineA64 gnu+linux , which is debian based, including armbian ) is nano. I'll let tkaiser speak for armbian , I'll address debian and ubuntu from pine64.pro.  The debian image ( generally ) has nano installed by default with a link for pico activated in /etc/alternatives/.  Ubuntu , on the other hand , has nano ( pico ) installed only if the user installs it :

sudo  apt-get  install  nano

The above installation command will bring nano on-board and will build the /etc/alternatives/pico links automatically. 

The pico , or nano , command will start the nano editor with an empty buffer within the terminal emulation shell of choice. Its generally a useful if not clunky editor with mousability and limited  command interface. nano is intuitive and easy to learn , and many non Jedi gravitate toward it ( have mouse -- will point and grunt ).

If you manage to get a full graphical interface running on your pine board , you and your students may actaully be interested in learning to use the 'pluma' editor , which is very much like the graphical editor common on most Windows desktops.  

Just for the record , I am an old-time lisp programmer ( among many other Jedi arts ) and I as a consequence use emacs all the time along with my plethora of other skills. Its interesting to note, however, that emacs with its almost limitless meta-key bindings is rather vim on lisp steroids-- plenty of fun , and thoroughly functional !

I give lessons in all of the above with unbiased zeal , and without prejudice ...
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )

Messages In This Thread
RE: Don't vi on me and tell me it's raining! Where's pico? - by MarkHaysHarris777 - 09-20-2016, 11:13 PM