DMG/Classic Gameboy Enclosure!? n_n'
Rainbow 
*copy;paste;edit*

Soooo... Digging through some drawers, I came across my old Gameboy.

Consequently I have a large number of questions; apologies in advance?

I'm a complete newbie to modding, so I'm really gonna need some help here! n__n;; Please & thank you?

The DMG/Classic Gameboy (I presume external) dimensions googled up at 5.82 inches tall, 3.54 inches wide and 1.25 inches thick...

The Pine64 is 5 inches flat by 3.125 inches.

So, I think it might be possible to gut my Gameboy and squidgy the Pine64 and the battery into the case!? =D

I'd need help from Google, too, to actually *do* it, but I think this would be super cool! :3 

Or would it? :0c How do I deal with potential overheating? Is it too small a space for this? Or would heat production not be significant enough to be of concern?

And what about data storage... 

Awhile ago it was said the hard drive was 2.5"? A laptop one I believe. 
And while it wasn't confirmed by Pine64, someone else said it would probably be 7mm thick?

Is that accurate? Would I be able to sneak a hard drive in there, too? 

How big are the wifi/Bluetooth components? :0c The idea of connecting it to my (hand-me-down-i)phone to offload all my pictures(because my phone is weird or my laptop sucks(?) and it rarely shows up when I plug it in, making cleaning it out even harder) that take up a huge amount of my phones space is super appealing!

Or do you think it'd just be too tight to fit and it'd be a waste of money to add on additional components for this?

SkairkrohBule pointed out the USB ports stick out a fair bit, and thus gave me the idea of having them poke out of the game cartridge slot, so thanks for that! :D

(I wonder if I can use part of an old game cartridge as a cover for the slot, to protect the ports~ n__n Much as I love it, I'd probably sacrifice my semi-faded Pokémon Blue version for that job! Just so I can look at it all the time :P)

:0c I'll also have to look into replacing the screen, so it has a colour display...

Most results pertained to installing a backlight mod. 

So then I wondered if I could fit a GBA screen into the case; I have an old GBA laying around somewhere, too! After that, while searching for (another hand-me-down) my GBA, I came across my (also hand-me-down 'xD) DS lite! 

Now... That got me thinking... It would surely have a much higher quality screen/colour -- and *touchscreen!* =D

A bunch of googling later and I had the name of something else that I came across... SSD1289! :3

A 3.2 inch LCD touch screen(with some kind of card slot... Micro SD?) that I wouldn't have to carve out of another system and would be brand new! :D

I'd just have to remove the painted-on plastic screen so the whole thing is accessible/visible.

So, can someone tell me, am I completely barking up the wrong tree, here, or could this actually work?? :3

I also found a store that does modding/parts for retro consoles/handhelds: 
http://store.kitsch-bent.com/

It has some stuff that would be important, like GBAmp and Soundpro kits to improve the volume and quality of the sound. 

But then, perhaps I need not be constrained by (Classic Gameboy)DMG-specific hardware because I'm gutting it to stash the Pine64, and you guys might have some better suggestions for audio hardware? 0.0?

n____n;;; Sorry for this huge post, hope you guys can help me out!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
DMG/Classic Gameboy Enclosure!? n_n' - by Gearsoul - 01-28-2016, 02:25 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video 7" LCD wooden framen enclosure for Pine64 *UPDATED WITH killor 12 19,827 10-12-2018, 03:08 PM
Last Post: tllim
Lightbulb Perfect ABS Plastic Server Enclosure from Radio Shack MarkHaysHarris777 14 34,057 09-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Last Post: stuartiannaylor
Rainbow (Cluster) Modified Playbox Enclosure Progress predominant 3 5,438 06-17-2017, 01:29 AM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Nostalgic enclosure VHS carlo318 4 7,498 03-05-2017, 04:56 PM
Last Post: carlo318
  How is the battery Supposed to be mounted in the PlayBox enclosure? dbarbee 2 5,682 02-12-2017, 10:17 PM
  Enclosure for flush-mounting the 7" touchscreen Learnincurve 9 12,940 02-07-2017, 08:45 PM
Last Post: Bluphire
  Official C4 Labs LCD Enclosure *UPDATED WITH ASSEMBLY VIDEO* Bluphire 12 24,891 01-06-2017, 03:15 AM
Last Post: Learnincurve
  Tablet Enclosure Vachtra 11 19,922 12-20-2016, 07:17 AM
Last Post: Toriless
Rainbow PineA64 Home-Brew card-board Play Box for Android & LCD Enclosure MarkHaysHarris777 9 18,951 11-01-2016, 06:23 PM
  White box plastic enclosure clawinus 3 6,599 10-13-2016, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Bluphire