PBP blank screen after updating Manjaro
Question about whether I buggered my PBP up at a deep level, far beyond my abilities to repair...

Received my new PBP and it booted up fine for the first time. As expected, Manjaro prompted me to update it, so I went ahead with it. Straightforward of course but it took awhile as there seemed to be quite a few updates, but nothing unusual. However, at the end the process the screen went to what looked like a terminal screen, with a warning about "knowing what you are doing and the potential consequences”. I didn't pay too much attention as I figured doing the update through the GUI would keep me out of any serious trouble, so I didn't make any detailed notes. Anyways, it hung on the terminal screen for 15-20 minutes doing nothing, so I pressed <enter> to see if it needed the " OK" to proceed. Nothing happened for a long time again. So, I thought the only other option (which was probably a bad decision!)  was to force it to reboot using the power button.

After it shut down, I powered it on again. The screen just went black (no visuals at all), with the power light blinking on and off every few seconds.

I then started to hunt through the forum messages for solutions.

I tried letting it sit for a long time in case the boot was just really slow after the update, but no luck. I can force it off with the power button. I have cycled it on and off quite a few times, but nothing has changed.

Eventually, I loaded Manjaro-ARM-kde-plasma-pbpro-23.02.IMG onto an SD card. The PBP booted up from the card and seems to function fine. I have removed and reinserted the card and rebooted and it all seems good.

So, my question is, can I somehow safely load Manjaro onto the eMMC (I think that's how it works?) instead of running off the SD card all the time? Or did I mess something up on the eMMC that needs work?

I think the fellow forum members can tell by now that I'm pretty green at this and bought the PBP to learn on. Unfortunately the learning started without even getting to use it once before I made it go kaput. However, it is a bit sketchy that the update function can end up with the process going sideways.

Thanks for any thoughts. I just want to see if it is OK to try installing Manjaro on the PineBook.

Messages In This Thread
PBP blank screen after updating Manjaro - by Franko - 03-08-2023, 04:13 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 282 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Manjaro versions bad and good gilwood 0 234 02-12-2024, 05:03 PM
Last Post: gilwood
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 2,172 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  PBP won't boot after trying to reinstall Manjaro ARM soupgirl 3 657 12-13-2023, 08:17 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Black screen by start up bluedemon382 10 2,928 07-27-2023, 07:49 AM
Last Post: dstallmo
  Games compilation howto on the Pinebook-pro (Manjaro Linux and Debian native) astr0baby 201 317,676 05-12-2023, 06:09 AM
Last Post: korreckj328
  Manjaro Plasma blinking cursor jcun4128 4 1,448 05-08-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: korreckj328
  Manjaro - which libdrm? hacknix 0 562 04-01-2023, 03:21 AM
Last Post: hacknix
  PBP green LED works but blank display. frerebo 1 866 02-22-2023, 03:11 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Partial boot after installing Manjaro on emmc regivanx 11 3,142 02-06-2023, 09:11 AM
Last Post: wdt