The Best Feature of the PinePhone is...
(06-08-2021, 05:40 AM)Dog House Dave Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 05:39 PM)ryo Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 03:23 PM)Dog House Dave Wrote: To be fair, part of my problem is my lack of Arch Linux knowledge.  I'm sure it's great when you get to know it, but I really don't have time to learn a new set of commands right now, as it seems to me that Debian has more in common with PowerShell than it does with Arch!

Comparing Debian to PowerShell is like comparing a Buddhist temple to a Christian church rather.
The biggest difference between Linux distributions in general are the package manager, and where they store system files in (there are more differences, but these 2 I believe are by far the most important).  PowerShell is a beast of its own with a far higher learning curve (to my own experience at least).

I've been using PowerShell for a few years to do basic network fault finding at work - and from the moment I started using Debian, I found many of the basic commands to be the same (although, different switches and arguments) such as "netstat" and "arp" - whereas, these commands are not commonly used in Arch ...so from my experience, Debian and PowerShell have far more in common and Arch is a foreign language...

I will be sure to try the power button when resetting the PinePhone, although, there has been many times when the power button would not even turn the phone on unless I took the battery out first :-(

Ubuntu looks good, and it surly can't be any more unstable than Manjaro ...can it? ;-)

Netstat is something you can install on all distro's, it's just that Debian pre-includes it.
Like how CentOS pre-includes the "whois" command, which you need to install separately on both Debian and Arch.
As for arp, never heard of it or used it, so I don't really know.

As for the instability, it's not necessarily Manjaro's fault, but rather Plasma Mobile.
Out of all the PlaMo distro's, I believe that Manjaro still has the most stable one, they also have Phosh (currently the most stable DE) and Lomiri (which is what Ubuntu Touch uses) versions available.

Though my reason to use Mobian for the PinePhone running Phosh is primarily because Manjaro doesn't seem to include Japanese localization into their Phosh image for whatever reason.
They do for their PlaMo image though.

I have Ubuntu Touch running on my Nexus 5, but as I understood before, it's just not ready for PinePhone yet.
And Lomiri is the only one of the 3 major mobile DE that doesn't run any desktop apps without virtualization (which by the way drains battery like a lunatic).
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Best Feature of the PinePhone is... - by ryo - 06-08-2021, 06:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 300 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,149 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,525 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 464 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,940 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 384 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,480 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,607 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,670 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 993 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma