How many other users recieved a phone with FAULTY HARDWARE?
Sad 
Hi folks,

My phone arrived last week and, the anticipation was palpable. I was so happy to be rid of google / apple.

Everything seemed to work out of the box - except calls (microphone). No problem its probably the OS right?

I spend a few hours trying out different OS's, each having the same problem. Finally, by chance, I discovered that the microphone does indeed work when you hold / persuade the charging port towards the screen. It fails if you don't hold it.

Contacting support, I requested information on:
- the procedure to return the item, and
- the progress of the rest of the order (docking bar).

The not very prompt reply was to download the diagnostic OS and run the microphone test. The question regarding the rest of the order was completely ignored.

The Microphone failed the diagnostic test. (SURPRISE!!!)

Reporting this to support and waiting another day, I was advised to unscrew the phone and check that the cable connecting the charging port board was seated.
(Even though it still charged perfectly normally, but ok whatever, I'm talking to an expert right?)

Upon examining the interior of the phone, the charging port cable was indeed already seated (SURPRISE!!!)
I noticed that the charging port board was able to 'move' slightly around one of the screw mount points.

Reporting this to support, I was asked to provide a photograph.

[Image: y4mD78n_CWxdmw0WOd7GnSLPnzceJt6fccK0cy3A...pmode=none]

After sending the photograph, I was advised that the photo would have to be sent to an engineer for examination. Confused

Days later, I receive a request for my address, so a new charging port board could be sent for me to install myself.

At this point I advise support that I do not have the tools for any micro-soldering, and have no experience doing such phone surgery and would rather not risk it.

Support sends the link to a video of the operation, which I again advise I am not confident to do.

Support has now, advised my of an address in California to ship it to for examination... (I'm in Australia)

At this point I want to ask you guys... am I being unreasonable that I just want to get a refund now? this is turning into a time and money wasting poopshow.

I really just wish I could have got a phone that worked Sad

Best regards all,
John

Messages In This Thread
How many other users recieved a phone with FAULTY HARDWARE? - by johnnykeys - 03-14-2021, 07:53 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for the "non-phone" OS wakyct 7 1,258 03-14-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  Writing apps/programs for pine phone katesfb 7 5,058 03-11-2024, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Emelia525
  How To Access the Pine Phone Auxillary microSD Without Removing Card pinephoneuser22 2 940 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: britelite
  Can the Pine Phone be serviced and updated remotely? profileyourcity 3 1,105 10-02-2023, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  UBports on pine phone? robb777 16 3,776 09-01-2023, 04:26 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  US Cell Phone Service Providers with prices and phone numbers - UPDATED jovval 0 732 07-01-2023, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jovval
  Loving my pine phone after about a year of not undata 0 709 05-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: undata
  New Pinephone is dead. eMMC, boot, hardware issues. Shane 4 1,473 05-10-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: fxc
  New Phone Opening Issues LuluFrance 5 2,182 03-15-2023, 05:33 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  pine phone external speaker AnAbolitionist 9 3,433 02-08-2023, 01:11 AM
Last Post: robb777