A Cure for the Moble Data Blues (KDE Community Edition)
(02-24-2021, 07:40 PM)neil2ball Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 06:09 PM)C0ffeeFreak Wrote: Thanks for posting this.  Been messing with it for about a month. It has a long way to go but Plasma has potential. I wish the radio would stay persistent.  I have to enter the sudo ofonoctl wan --connect --append-dns command often. But It's just for testing. Not reliable enough for a daily driver.

Perhaps if you need something as reliable as the newest Android or iPhone, sure.  However, my commute each day in each direction is over an hour long and I have managed to have voice chats on Telegram last as long over mobile data without the radio going down.  It's only when there is no signal that the radio software likes to go sideways.  Then it's usually just a restart of ofonod or even simply bringing the modem online, but sometimes a phone restart.

Maybe I can't answer calls yet or know who is calling me.  I have always lived by the "if it's important enough, they will leave a message" motto.  So, thank goodness for voice mail.  Maybe the ring tone plays through the earpiece rather than the speaker and I can't click links or get pictures in MMS.  Say one had to rely on the phone for a job, the Pinephone would not hold up.  However, if that is not the case, the phone is very usable if you know a few simple bash commands.

My wish would be to get an ofonod that works with Plasma Mobile using the master branch of ofono.  There are many updates to that branch that I'm guessing would iron out a lot of these wrinkles.  Then of course the power management contributes its own issues.

I also learned that "ofonoctl online" will power on the modem automatically, so you can skip one step in practice.  Thanks for letting me know that the post was useful.  I'll keep trying for quality posts when I can.
I apologize for me not being more clear. Yes your tip helped me. I have iPhones and Android phones. What I meant was it was nice to be able to finally test Plasma beacuse of your tip. ofono stopped working on all of the distros a month ago. Mobian on the Pinephone is my daily driver. Other then the alarm and Bluetooth calling, all the basic phone functions work. I use Wake Up Call in place of the alarm and a wired headset for now. It will come. Chromium runs well and Chromium Web Apps can replace anything I use. Arch is not far behind. Very usable. Both Manjaro Phosh and Plasma are not fully functional yet but coming along nicely. They got a later start. Linux phones are a dream come true for me. Linux mobile has come a long way in a year.

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Cure for the Moble Data Blues (KDE Community Edition) - by C0ffeeFreak - 02-24-2021, 08:14 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  debugging issue realted to iso image wth extra data eror penguins_rule 1 109 03-21-2024, 07:30 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  Manjaro Plasma Beta and Cellular Data Service Fred Zyphal 7 4,879 03-17-2022, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Fred Zyphal
  No incoming SMS. Outgoing SMS, calls and data working. HardwarePunk 3 2,932 11-20-2021, 12:53 AM
Last Post: HardwarePunk
  No mobile data working itwurketnet 3 2,416 10-14-2021, 09:04 AM
Last Post: itwurketnet
  PinePhone Beta Edition will not boot from MicroSD card Timothy_Ecc 8 7,064 04-30-2021, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Timothy_Ecc
  Plasma Mobile - no data connection KNERD 9 8,468 02-25-2021, 03:44 AM
Last Post: dcinoz
  Anbox on KDE Community Edition (Manjaro) neil2ball 8 6,715 02-21-2021, 08:53 PM
Last Post: neil2ball
  Mobile Data toggle not retained after reboot Shane 0 1,411 12-23-2020, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Shane
  Todays Manjaro CE Update Broke my AT&T Data cyberbillp 4 3,926 12-14-2020, 06:39 PM
Last Post: cyberbillp
Exclamation PinePhone Manjaro Edition, does not boot vdiazroa 2 3,026 11-28-2020, 02:00 PM
Last Post: bcg7